Help for finding settings in Settings / Configuration

Help for finding settings in Settings / Configuration

NewbieNewbie

Jul 13, 2006#1

I am overwhelmed by the number of options in the configuration screens. I often hunt around for a long time to find where to set a particular option. I guess the arrangement makes sense to some people, but not for me. It seems to have grown over the years.

Anyway, I came up with a solution. I typed the text of every option in all the config screens into a file. When I need a particular setting, I search my file to find where it is. Then I can go right to it.

I tried to follow these convention: indent another tab level for anything that is below a grouping or heading. Prefix actual "setable" options with a hyphen, no prefix on groupings or headings. Insert a blank line between major section headings.

In case anyone would find this useful, you can click on the link at my last post to download the file. It is in RTF format. Hopefully everyone has a way to read that format. (WordPad, MS Word, etc.) Let me know if you need something else (DOC, ASCII, etc.)
    Edit: See the last post by Mofi who manages the files now.

Here come the disclaimers: This was written for version 12.10a. I do not promise to keep it updated for new releases or make copies for older versions. I tried to follow my conventions, but I am sure there are problably mistakes in there. (This took a LONG time to create!) I make no guarantees as to the accuracy or usefulness of this. Do with it what you will and use it at your own risk.

Let me know if you come up with any improvments or creative uses for this. For example, I have associated RTF files with WordPad on my PC. I added this file to the Custom Tools in UltraEdit. That way I can quickly open it in a window outside of UltraEdit and then open the Configuration screen to make my changes.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 13, 2006#2

Amazing! Wonderful!

Now I'm not forced anymore to open the configuration dialog when answering forum questions. I saved your file in ASCII to my UltraEdit directory and added it to the favorite files of UE to have quick access to it from within UE. Now I can also copy and paste the names of the settings to forum answers easily.

Thanks, thanks and thanks!
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 13, 2006#3

Wow, a newbie was able to help the amazing Mofi!?!?!
        That's great! I'm glad it is helpful to you.
        Thanks for all the help you give on this forum.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 18, 2006#4

Wow! Thanks for the work! This is a great "cheat sheet".

Mary

NewbieNewbie

Jul 19, 2013#5

Wow, it has been 7 years since I uploaded this? Thanks for maintaining it all this time. It is a great help. I just upgraded UE, and my first stop was to come here and get the latest copy. I knew I could count on you to keep it up-to-date.
            Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 20, 2013#6

Hi dsunde,

thanks for your kind words. Yes, I keep the self-extracting RAR archive up-to-date as I use the files inside for myself from time to time for answering forum questions.

Aug 28, 2023#7

I added the files for UltraEdit for Windows v2023.1 and UEStudio v2023.1 on 2023-08-28 and updated the two history files.

The attached RAR archive file contains just the files. The extraction should be done into an empty directory to see easily the files of the archive after extraction. The directory (tree) is created usually automatically by the used tool if the path to the extraction folder is entered manually and it does not already exist.

The two files with file name History_ConfigSets contain additionally a history about changes in the configuration dialogs.

This archive file is a must have for all users using a localized version of UltraEdit or UEStudio who are writing in the forum about a configuration setting and want to know the English name for it. The order of the items in the RTF or TXT file for the specified UE/UES version is identical with the order of items in the configuration dialogs of this version. That should be a good help to find the English name of a localized configuration setting.
                UE_UES_ConfigSets.rar (32.33 KiB)   0
                RAR archive file with the two configuration history files and the configuration setting files for each UltraEdit/UEStudio version
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria