Help resources

Help resources

NewbieNewbie

Jul 10, 2023#1

I am a prior user of ultraedit (from way, way back), but I can't really figure much out without going through endless menus and submenus. Is there a good source of information related to the functionality available in UEX and walkthroughs of the various menus? Questions I've had to answer for myself, lately range from  - how to change case to how to sort a selection (File->Sort->Sort File... wow?!). Anyway, if there was a help file out there (pdf, html, whatever), I might not have to dig through the menus every time I need to figure out how to do something.

I guess I've grown to used to BBEdit on Mac, Kate on *nix, and NPP on Windows. I'd really like to settle in on uex, but it's been a little frustrating on the figuring stuff out front...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 11, 2023#2

It is a well-known issue (for me) that help for users of UltraEdit for Linux is a bit poor, especially in comparison to help for users of UltraEdit for Windows.

There is the UltraEdit Wiki. It is mainly based on help of UltraEdit for Windows. There are some information specific for UEX in this help, but a reader of the UE Wiki pages using UEX or UEM should be aware that some described features are not available at all in UEX/UEM or are not in the menu as in UltraEdit for Windows on using one of the toolbar/menu modes and not the ribbon mode as it is default nowadays for UltraEdit for Windows. Even the menu item name can be slightly different like Settings versus Configuration versus Preferences.

The UltraEdit Power Tips page has a section UltraEdit Mac/Linux Powertips with links to UEX/UEM specific power tips.

The UltraEdit/UltraCompare blogs are all more or less general or specific to UltraEdit for Windows. They are not really helpful for a beginner in usage of UEX in my opinion.

The UltraEdit related videos listed on UltraEdit YouTube channel page are also mainly for UltraEdit for Windows. It could be nevertheless useful viewing some of those videos as many features exist also in UEX although the user interface is different to UltraEdit for Windows.

I am not aware of a PDF manual for any UltraEdit.

I cannot find anymore the UEX full feature list which existed previously on UltraEdit homepage. It looks like this page was lost by mistake on transforming the UltraEdit homepage to WordPress a few months ago. I will contact support of UltraEdit, Inc. by email and report the issue about the missing page because of linking from UltraEdit text editor for Linux the Full Feature List of UEStudio is definitely incorrect and not useful for any reader interested in UEX.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 11, 2023#3

What a great answer. Thanks for the detail and for noticing the link issue. I'll start looking out for the various resources. UEX is great - the version I'm on 20.00.etc works quite well, but the startup time could be improved. Next time I get a little extra, I plan to upgrade (as a Linux user, that feels a little off, but the product is worth investing in, I just wish is was a perpetual, permanent license, like my original ultraedit license instead of this hybrid perpetual where the version you're on will keep working, but after a year you have to pay for upgrade if you want to be on the latest version).