"Highlight all selected" is case-sensitive

"Highlight all selected" is case-sensitive

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 19, 2017#1

I've noticed that the Highlight all selected feature in UE v24.xx only highlights text that is in the same case as the original selected text. Is there any way to make it ignore case?

For instance, my code (well, I didn't write it but I get to modify it) has both FNC_PTRAN and fnc_ptran. Selecting one and using Highlight all selected won't highlight both.

Thanks,
    Dan

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 20, 2017#2

Highlight all selected respectively Shift+double click searches for the selected string respectively double clicked word always case-sensitive. This is not customizable.

It is possible to use Quick Find by selecting the word, pressing with default key mappings Ctrl+F or Ctrl+Shift+I to start quick find with selected word and hitting key RETURN to highlight all occurrences of selected word with ignoring the case.

Or regular Find is used by selecting the word, pressing with default key mappings twice Ctrl+F or once Alt+F3 to open regular find with selected word, uncheck option Match case if currently checked, check option Highlight all items found if currently not checked and hitting key RETURN to highlight all occurrences of selected word with ignoring the case.

I don't use the highlight feature. I have never understood what should be the benefit of this feature. With default search settings and option Regular expressions not checked on last regular find it is possible to select current word using Ctrl+J with default key mappings (modified by me to Alt+W) and press key F3 to find next occurrence of this word with case-sensitivity depending on Match case option as last time used on regular find. I don't understand what I should do after getting highlighted all occurrences of a word? Manually move caret to each occurrence and modify the highlighted word? No, as this can be done much faster with a replace. Just see were a variable is used with manually scrolling display if necessary? No, as this can be done better with find/find next. Perhaps I don't need this feature because I use UltraEdit/UEStudio to 99.5% with keyboard and use for that reason the existing commands for most efficiently writing and editing code and text with keyboard.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 02, 2018#3

A good question, then, is why is Highlight all selected always case-sensitive?

Whether or not you use this feature, others do, and it would be more useful (IMHO) if it was either case-insensitive, or configurable, as search is.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 03, 2018#4

You have to ask this question IDM support by email. I really don't know. You could request in same email a configuration setting which controls case-sensitivity of Highlight all selected.

Jan 31, 2021#5

There are offered since UltraEdit for Windows v28.00 and UEStudio v21.00 at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Search - Advanced for Highlight all occurrences of selected word the configuration settings:
            • Match case
            • Match whole word only
              • ... when selection is whole word only
            The highlighting can be done also configurable with just double clicking on a word or with double clicking on a word with additionally holding Shift key. It is also possible to configure that double clicking on a word does not trigger highlighting of all occurrences of the selected word at all.

The settings give a user the full control on which strings are highlighted on double clicking a word without or with Shift hold or executing the command Highlighted all selected from ribbon/menu View or on pressing Ctrl+. without or with having something currently selected and no strings currently highlighted.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria