How to get an invisible floating Favorite Files window back into the visible screen area?

How to get an invisible floating Favorite Files window back into the visible screen area?

15:03 - Apr 29#1

Hi there,

I'm using UltraEdit for Windows 2023.2.0.41. I installed UltraEdit a month or so ago and set up a bunch of favorite file entries. Today when I click on Favorite files... I do not see any window. I cannot click on my mouse or keyboard until I press ESC. It's like the Favorite Files window is open but not visible. I have a two screen setup. So it's not that I set up my system with two screens and now am working with only one screen (although it is true that I have changed monitors).

What do I need to do to get the Favorite Files window visible again?

Thanks for your help.

Jack

Grand MasterGrand Master

17:21 - Apr 29#2

A floating window is usually always opened within the screen area even on being last time opened on a different screen than the currently available screen. But if the screen area is still defined in the Windows display settings for usage of two or more screens although there is only one screen plugged and powered on at the moment, the screen area is defined with a not visible area.

UltraEdit has on ribbon tab Layout in last group Data the command Gather windows. The contemporary menu Layout has at bottom the menu item Gather windows. In toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus must be opened in menu View the submenu Views/lists containing at the bottom the menu item Recover floating windows. Execute this command while the Favorite Files window is currently not opened (as otherwise the command cannot be executed with a pointing device button click). Then open Favorite Files and see if it is opened now inside the visible screen area. Continue with next suggestion if it is still outside the visible screen area.

There is the Microsoft support page Keyboard shortcuts in Windows. In section Copy, paste, and other general keyboard shortcuts is listed Alt + Spacebar … Open the shortcut menu for the active window. The shortcut menu is the menu which appears on clicking with primary (usually left) pointing device (mouse) button on the icon of an application on left side of the title bar of the main application window. The shortcut menu contains several general menu items like Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize. The floating Favorite Files window has also such a shortcut menu.

In this use case is Move what is needed to get the already opened floating Favorite Files window back into the visible screen area. Press with not visible but opened Favorite Files window Alt+Space and next the key M. (Key Alt does not need to be pressed anymore on already opened not visible menu.) Now use the Left/Right Arrow keys on assuming the second screen was positioned right/left and not up/below to current available screen. Hold first the Left Arrow key for about 10 seconds and look if the rectangle for the window comes suddenly from the right into the visible screen area. Otherwise hold the Right Arrow key for about 10 seconds and look if the rectangle for the window comes suddenly from the left into the visible screen area. Special hint: Using shortcut menu command Move and holding Ctrl while using the Arrow keys makes it possible to position a window in steps of just one pixel which is not so easy using the pointing device. Press either RETURN or ENTER to position the hopefully again visible Favorite Files window.

If the usage of the shortcut menu was also not successful to get the Favorite Files window back, press ESC to close the window and Alt+F4 to exit UltraEdit. Start now Windows Notepad, press Ctrl+O, copy and paste the file name %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile\ue.vod with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V from browser window into the File name edit field of the Open window of Windows Notepad and click on button Open. Press Ctrl+F and search for the section: [reg:Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\FavoriteDialog] Delete the entire section with its thirteen lines below, save the modified file ue.vod and close Windows Notepad. Start UltraEdit and open the Favorite Files window which is displayed centered inside the main application window of UltraEdit. It can be resized and moved now again.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

17:41 - Apr 29#3

Thank you very much. Alt-Spacebar and M worked.  I had to use the down arrow to move the window into visibility.

Really appreciated.

Regards,

Jack