How to get resizable dialog windows back visible with UltraEdit v12.10?

How to get resizable dialog windows back visible with UltraEdit v12.10?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 23, 2018#1

Hi 
    I'm using UltraEdit-32 Professional Text/HEX Editor version 12.10 on a Windows 10 laptop using multiple monitors.

When I click Open From FTP or Save To FTP UltraEdit stops responding and I can only kill the program using Task Manager. I can use the FTP/SFTP Browser to connect and download to the PC, but I cannot open a file loaded via FTP directly in UltraEdit.

Based on advice I've found on the forum I've looked for View - Views/Lists - Recover Floating Windows, but do not have that option. I have not been able to find any *.in0 files on my PC either. Most pop up boxes like FTP Open/Save and Find list are not being displayed. When I try to go to a specific line, no dialog window is displayed, but UE will respond when I enter a line number and hit enter.

Any ideas how I can get this resolved?

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 24, 2018#2

The command Recover Floating windows was introduced with UltraEdit for Windows v14.20. So it is not available in v12.10.

Do following to reset the settings for FTP Open and FTP Save dialog windows.
      1. Exit all running instances of UltraEdit.
      2. Copy following full qualified file name after selection with Ctrl+C to Windows clipboard: %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini
      3. Start Windows Notepad, press Ctrl+O and paste into file name edit field with Ctrl+V the copied full qualified file name and open the INI file.
      4. Press Ctrl+F and search for [FTP Dialog].
      5. Delete the line containing this string and also next line starting with Window Pos=.
      6. Save the modification with Ctrl+S and exit Notepad with Alt+F4.
      7. Open a command prompt window and run the command line:
        reg delete "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\FtpOpenDialog" /f
      The command line reg delete "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\WindowName" /f can be executed for following window names: AsciiTableDialog, AutoRec, ColorSelector, FavoriteDialog, FtpOpenDialog, FunctionListDialog, GoToDialog, MenuConfigDialog, TagModifyDialog, ToolbarConfigDialog, UserCust, WindowManagerDialog

Those are the window names of the dialog windows which are resizable indicated by the three lines at bottom right corner and on which UltraEdit for Windows v12.00 and v12.10 and UEStudio v6.00 store and reload window size and position in/from Windows registry. The settings moved to INI file in sections named [reg:Software\IDM Computer Solutions\WindowName] with UE v12.20 and UES v6.10 on using INI file as by default for configuration settings.

UltraEdit for Windows v17.00 and UEStudio v11.00 introduced a completely different framework with dockable windows. UE v17.00 and UES v11.00 introduced the *.in0 workspace file for storing data about the various windows, except the resizable dialog windows still saved in INI file or Windows registry whereby some window names changed and some dialog windows do not exist anymore.

UltraEdit for Windows v12.00 and v12.10 as well as UEStudio v6.00 have a few bugs regarding to management of window data resulting in resizable dialog window not visible after executing the command which opens the window. Those bugs were fixed with UE v12.20 and UES v6.10. But you are using UE v12.10 and so you better create a batch file for deleting those registry keys. I exported all those window settings from registry into a *.reg file in year 2006 which I could import with a double click to restore my preferred resizable dialog window settings. And I have still archived this file although not needed anymore since UE v12.20 / UES v6.10 which is the reason why I could help on this issue 12 years later.

BTW: Users of UEStudio v6.00 have to replace UltraEdit by UEStudio in folder names, key names and INI section names and edit uestudio.ini.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 24, 2018#3

Thanks so much. That did exactly what I needed!