How to load file 2 and 7 into UltraCompare (from UltraEdit)

How to load file 2 and 7 into UltraCompare (from UltraEdit)

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 16, 2007#1

Assume I have loaded 10 files into UltraEdit.

Now I want to compare file on tab 2 with file on tab 7
    with UltraCompare.

How do I tell UltraEdit to pass exactly these two files to UltraCompare?

Power UserPower User

Jan 18, 2007#2

Actually, UE defaults to passing UC the paths of the last two files selected. So you can just click on the tabs for files 2 and 7 and then invoke UC.

MasterMaster

Jan 18, 2007#3

Yes, that's cool. Either I missed that or it's a quite new behaviour.
        Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Power UserPower User

Jan 18, 2007#4

It's worked that way for as long as I can remember -- long before UC, certainly. I shouldn't have said defaults, though, because it's not configurable. The part that I never seem to remember is which tab goes into which pane. (The current tab is the left pane, the previous tab is the right one.)

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 20, 2007#5

I cannot confirm this. I tried it out.
            I clicked on two similar text files currently open in UE.

Then I started UC by double clicking and the two previously selected files in UE are NOT automatically shown in the two panes of UC.

Maybe I have to enable this auto-passing of the two file names in UE or UC ?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 20, 2007#6

mattad wrote:Then I started UC by double clicking and the two previously selected files in UE are NOT automatically shown in the two panes of UC.
              That can't work. You have started UltraCompare with its shortcut and not within UltraEdit and so UltraEdit cannot pass the names of the 2 last used files to UltraCompare.

UltraCompare does not check if UltraEdit is running and which files were last used in it. Of course, UC can't do that because you can have multiple instances of UltraEdit open as I have often.

You have to use in UltraEdit the command Compare Files from the File menu to launch UltraCompare with the files last selected in UltraEdit and the options you can specify in the compare files dialog. UltraEdit automatically detects if UltraCompare Professional is installed or only UltraCompare Lite.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria