How to migrate Linux UEX configuration to new computer?

How to migrate Linux UEX configuration to new computer?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 25, 2023#1

I have UE (uex_21.00.0.0_amd64) and UC (ucx_21.00.0.18_amd64) installed on a laptop running Ubuntu 22.04.

I am migrating to a new laptop also running Ubuntu and I want to migrate my UltraEdit configuration. How do I do this?

The UltraEdit power tip Backup and Restore Settings talks about an Advanced menu option to backup/restore settings but the images on that page show a Windows installation and I can't find any Advanced menu item on my main menu. I've tried right-clicking the main menu as suggested in the power tip but that does nothing.

I've also hunted in all the usual places used in Ubuntu to store application-specific settings but haven't found anything that obviously relates to UltraEdit.

So, how do I migrate my settings?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 25, 2023#2

I use only UltraEdit for Windows. However, I suppose that UCX and UEX store the user configuration in a hidden directory of the user`s home directory. Look if there are /home/username/.idm/ucx respectively ~/.idm/ucx and /home/username/.idm/uex respectively ~/.idm/uex.

If there is the hidden directory .idm (hidden because of beginning with a dot), pack the entire directory into a TGZ file with executing in a terminal window tar -czf ~/ucx_uex_config.tgz -C ~ .idm, copy the created file ucx_uex_config.tgz in your home directory to new notebook also into the home directory, and run in a terminal window tar -xf ~/ucx_uex_config.tgz -C ~ to extract the archive file on new notebook. It could be necessary to change some paths in some configuration files if user name on new notebook is different to user name on old notebook.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 25, 2023#3

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.

Since I posted my query I'd discovered the .idm directory in my $HOME directory and had been able to copy my settings across.

I didn't copy all of the .idm/uex and .idm/ucx directory contents as they contained a license key and I'd already licensed the apps on my new computer. Now to deactivate the license on the old!