How to setup project wordfile in UE 25.00.0.59?

How to setup project wordfile in UE 25.00.0.59?

NewbieNewbie

Jul 11, 2018#1

I usually only work with projects. In my main project I use the default *.uew files with one file added for PL/SQL - plsql.uew. This file contains sections keywords, data types and for all known tables and packages.

For other projects I'd like to use another PL/SQL file because there are different tables/packages.

If I only provide a plsql.uew as project wordfile then the highlighting works, but only if "AWK Script" is chosen as language and highlighting for other languages (e.g. bash) does not work.

If I provide a complete wordfile.uew with all languages I have to maintain each language and even then the highlighting does not work correctly for e.g. bash.

Of course I can add a plsql2.uew, plsql3.uew, ... to the default wordfiles folder, but then I have to choose the language whenever I open a PL/SQL file in a secondary project.

What would be the best way to set up a different highlighting for each project?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 11, 2018#2

A single wordfile with multiple language definitions should work also with UE v25.00.0.59 which should be upgraded to currently latest version or at least updated to 25.00.0.82, especially if you ever want to use macros in future and want to edit them.

The project settings option title Optional wordfile is not really correct anymore. It is not only possible to specify a single *.uew file with one or more languages, it is also possible to specify a directory containing one or more *.uew files. For that reason I suggest following:
      1. Create for project X a wordfiles directory with whatever name you like and wherever you want.
      2. Copy into this project specific wordfiles directory the project specific plsql.uew wordfile.
      3. Open Project Settings dialog, Browse to that wordfile and Open it, but then manually remove in edit field the file name so that only the path to the project specific wordfiles directory ending with a backslash remains. Then Close the project settings window.
      When the project is opened, UltraEdit reads all *.uew files in that project specific wordfiles directory and ignores all wordfiles in the wordfiles directory of which path can be seen and customized at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor display - Syntax highlighting. This configuration dialog lists with the project opened only the *.uew files (languages) in the project specific wordfiles directory and not in the wordfiles directory with path displayed at top. The button Open right to selected wordfile/language in syntax highlighting configuration dialog really opens the project specific wordfile.

But you want additionally also some standard wordfiles on having the project opened. You have two options:
      1. You copy those standard *.uew files from %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles directory to the project specific wordfiles directory which you always would like to use.
        The advantage is that this is very easy to do for every user. The disadvantage is that on making a modification or updating one of the used standard wordfiles, it is necessary to make the file copy to each project wordfiles directory once again.
      2. You create in a command prompt window opened with Run as administrator for each standard wordfile to use also on opened project a symbolic link to the standard wordfile in the project specific wordfiles directory. See The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on Windows for details. Both link types work, soft and hard links.
        The advantage is that the symbolic link always links to latest version of standard wordfile. Every change on a standard wordfile linked from a project specific wordfiles directory is taken into account on loading the wordfiles from project specific wordfiles directory. The disadvantage with this solution is that the user needs local administrator privileges to create the symbolic link(s) to the standard wordfile(s) and the file system must be NTFS.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 12, 2018#3

Thanks, I'll go for solution 1.
        I only use the defaults for anything but PL/SQL so copying the files should be a one time job.

Best Regards
        Marcus