How to show ASCII box and line drawing characters?

How to show ASCII box and line drawing characters?

Basic UserBasic User

May 12, 2021#1

Hi,

I looked in Editor Display, and can't locate this setting.

Some of the code I'm viewing contains some box and line drawing characters, like corners and vertical and horizontal lines.

But it's displaying as uninterpreted ASCII codes, like ÀÄÄ instead of └──

How do I tell UltraEdit/UEStudio to render these characters as line drawing characters?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 12, 2021#2

The simple method is clicking in status bar at bottom of the encoding selector and select instead of ANSI code page 1252 (ANSI -Latin I) (or whatever ANSI code page is default according to country configured for your user account) one of the OEM code pages 437 (OEM - United States) or 850 (OEM - Multilangual Latin I) or 850 (OEM - Multilangual Latin I + Euro). Then the bytes in the file are interpreted according to selected code page. If that works with this single step for getting the characters displayed as expected or not depends on version of UltraEdit/UEStudio. In older versions are additionally actions necessary like selecting a different font on currently used font does not support these OEM code pages.

It is also possible to configure UltraEdit for displaying and editing files with a specific file extension like BAT, CMD or NFO by default with the OEM code page configured for your user account according to the country/region set in the Windows region and language settings for the user account. I use such a configuration since UltraEdit for Windows v8 for batch files (since 2004).

See also the topics:
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

May 13, 2021#3

Wow.  I NEVER noticed that option on the bottom.  I always thought it was some configuration item, or a format item.

Perfect.  Thanks, Mofi.