How to use Alt+F and Alt+S to save active file?

How to use Alt+F and Alt+S to save active file?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2021#1

A year ago or so, UltraEdit changed their menu. When they did the hot keys functioned differently.  Before if I wanted to do a File / Save, I would press Alt+F & Alt+S.  But that doesn't work now. I finally figured out what it wants. It wants Alt+F & S now.  Older Windows apps used Alt+F & Alt+S, and I'm in a habit of using that sequence still. I do it without even thinking about it. I find it annoying that it doesn't work in UltraEdit, and I can't break my "habit". To confirm how new MS products work, I see they now will take either Alt+F & Alt+S or Alt+F & S. Is it possible to get UltraEdit to do the same?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 04, 2021#2

The ribbon interface was introduced with UltraEdit for Windows v23.00 in February 2016 together with the alternative interface toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus. For long time users of UltraEdit like me was introduced with v23.20 the toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus in July 2016. So a user of UltraEdit can choose nowadays with just a right click on a ribbon/menu/toolbar to open the context menu and with a left click on appropriate context menu item which user interface mode to use. The ribbon interface mode has even more options to customize it and the two toolbar/menu modes offers multiple predefined toolbars which can be completely customized as well as adding own configured toolbars.

The active file can be saved with following key combinations respectively key sequences:
      1. Ctrl+S which is the fastest and works in all Windows applications I am aware of as it does not result in opening a main menu or a ribbon tab.
        That hotkey is customizable in UltraEdit and in Microsoft Word 2010 which has additionally assigned Shift+F12 and Alt+Shift+F12 to the command for saving a file.
      2. Alt & F & S which means pressing just left Alt (with releasing it) to set the input focus to main menu or ribbon, pressing next key F to open menu File and pressing key S to activate item Save.
        That works in all three user interface modes with UltraEdit for Windows v28.10.0.98 as well as in Microsoft Word 2010.
      3. Alt+F & S which means pressing and holding left Alt and pressing next key F, releasing now also left Alt and pressing next key S.
        That works in all three user interface modes with UltraEdit for Windows v28.10.0.98 as well as in Microsoft Word 2010.
      4. Alt+(F & S) which means pressing and holding left Alt and pressing next key F and while still holding left Alt pressing next key S.
      5. Alt+F & Alt+S which means pressing and holding left Alt, pressing next key F, releasing now also left Alt, pressing and holding left Alt once again, pressing next key S, and finally releasing once again left Alt.
        That does not work by default in any of the three user interface modes with UltraEdit for Windows v28.10.0.98, but works in Microsoft Word 2010.
      The difference in behavior of fifth key sequence between UltraEdit and Microsoft Word 2010 can be seen on pressing first Alt+F and then pressing and holding left Alt.

Microsoft Word keeps the input focus on menu File on key Alt down and on key Alt up removes just the information about the possible keys for the commands, but does not switch back the input focus to the document window which is not visible at all. So the user cannot easily go back to the document window on having pressed by mistake Alt+F or decides not making the next action.

UltraEdit immediately switches back the input focus to document window on key Alt down from menu File with input focus making it possible to do actions on content of active file which need left Alt hold.

However, it is possible to use Alt+F & Alt+S also in UltraEdit for saving active file.
      1. Open Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Key mapping.
      2. Select in the Commands list the command Save like by pressing S.
      3. Click into edit field Press new (multi-)key or press twice key TAB.
      4. Press now Alt+F.
      5. Click with mouse pointer into second edit field below.
      6. Press Alt+S.
      7. Click on button Assign.
      Now pressing Alt+F & Alt+S results in execution of the command File - Save if the four keys are pressed within the time set for Multi-key delay which is by default 500 ms.

Close the configuration dialog with button OK, or if this button does not exist anymore (depends on UltraEdit version), press ESC or click on symbol X to save the additional multi-key assignment for command Save.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2021#3

This works. Thank you! There was only a few I did this for Save and Save As. Technically I do ALT+(F & S), where I press and hold ALT key as I press F and S. This workaround works for that combo too. You don't need to release ALT key in between.