I lost my menu tabs in version v22.20 how do I restore them. Can't do anything :(

I lost my menu tabs in version v22.20 how do I restore them. Can't do anything :(

13:55 - Apr 22#1

I lost my menu tabs in version v22.20 how do I restore them? This is bad that you can even lose or close them with no way to easily restore them. This has been a long standing issue with UE :(

Grand MasterGrand Master

17:13 - Apr 22#2

It is not 100% clear for me what you mean. There is in UltraEdit for Windows v22.20:
      1. The main menu bar with the menus File, Edit, Search, Insert, Project, View, Format, Column, Macro, Scripting, Advanced, Window, Help.
      2. Next one or more toolbars with symbols of commands.
      3. Then the Open Files bar with the file tabs of opened files.
      I suppose you mean the Open Files bar. Click in menu View in submenu Views/Lists on the menu item Open File Tabs and the Open Files bar should be visible again.

The bar with name Open Files with the file tabs has a small X symbol on right side which some users sometimes click by mistake instead of the X symbol for the document window in main menu bar or the X symbol for the application window in the title bar of the application window.

It is possible in UltraEdit for Windows v22.20 opening Advanced - Configuration - File Tabs - Operation and uncheck the setting Dockable tabs. That results in changing the document window mode with Open Files bar no longer visible at all. There are now displayed only the file tabs. There is no small X symbol anymore for closing the Open Files bar as that bar does not exist in this mode. There is also no X symbol anymore on the main menu bar to close the active file. There is now only the X symbol in main application window title bar for exiting UltraEdit. This setting can be easily toggled also by right clicking on any file tab of an opened file for opening the file tabs context menu and clicking in submenu File Tabs on first submenu item Dockable.

Please note that the change of Dockable tabs setting in configuration or via the file tabs context menu item changes also how the document windows can be arranged side by side or above/below each other. The commands Cascade, Tile Horizontal and Tile Vertical can be used only with checked setting Dockable tabs. It is possible with not checked Dockable tabs to use drag and drop split pane editing, but not in UltraEdit for Windows v22.20. Read all posts of Can't split workspace using drag & drop with UE v22.20.0.43+ and UES v15.30.0.16+ (solved) if you are interest in the reasons why this feature was disabled intentionally in UE v22.20.

If the usage of not Dockable tabs is acceptable for you (as I use since many years because of more vertical space), look at Advanced - Configuration - File Tabs - Miscellaneous. There are at top configuration settings useful for closing a file with pointing device button clicks (which I do not use as I press Ctrl+F4 to close a file). The button Help opens the appropriate help page explaining the first two checkbox options. The third checkbox option MDI close button closes active file (not file tabs) should be checked by you on further using Dockable tabs. If you click with this setting checked on the X symbol on the Open Files bar, the active file is closed instead of disabling the visibility of the Open Files bar. In other words that option prevents an accidental close of the Open Files bar.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria