(In)consistent wording in Menu: "Settings" versus "options" versus "configuration"

(In)consistent wording in Menu: "Settings" versus "options" versus "configuration"

1581
Power UserPower User
1581

    Dec 14, 2019#1

    Not first priority, but the usage of the words "Settings" versus "options" versus "configuration" in the menu (and maybe everywhere) seem to be a little inconsistent.  Maybe it can be checked sometimes ..
    wording.png (27.46KiB)
    UE 26.20.0.74 German / Win 10 x 64 Pro

    6,624550
    Grand MasterGrand Master
    6,624550

      Jan 29, 2020#2

      Sorry, I should have written a small reply that I will report this issue of German UltraEdit when I think the moment is good for reporting it.

      It is a fact that there are four words used widely in all applications meaning the same in English:
      • settings
      • options
      • configuration
      • preferences
      Those four words are often used inconsistent within an application. Those four words can be translated with four different words also to German:
      • Einstellungen
      • Optionen
      • Konfiguration
      • Voreinstellungen
      There is used in UltraEdit for Windows the word Configuration in menu Advanced in all UE for Windows versions prior 23.00. This word is still used in UE for Windows v23.20 and later versions in traditional menu because one explicit requirement for a traditional menus update is not changing any menu item name or menu item position which existed before introducing ribbon mode and the contemporary menus. The long time users of UE for Windows (like me) should find the commands in same menus with same name as used since years on using traditional menus.

      However, in ribbon mode and in contemporary menus mode the same thing should have the same name. The English UltraEdit uses for all the items shown on screen shot of German UltraEdit the word settings. Therefore I can only agree to your post: German UltraEdit should use also the word Einstellungen in contemporary menu Extras.

      When is the right time to report such a localization issue?

      The best time to report such an issue is at beginning of a beta test period. Beta testing is offered by IDM before a new major version is released with new features which results always in an update in user interface (ribbon, menus) because of the new commands and in an update of the help to explain the new features. At end of the beta test period the localization teams are commissioned by IDM to translate the new items in user interface and the new/updated help pages. Therefore it is best to report such a localization issue at beginning of  a beta test period because this results usually in not forgetting or overlooking the necessary changes to apply on the translated resources to fix the localization issue.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

      1581
      Power UserPower User
      1581

        Jan 30, 2020#3

        Thanks Mofi,

        I trust in you that you will succeed!
        UE 26.20.0.74 German / Win 10 x 64 Pro

        6,624550
        Grand MasterGrand Master
        6,624550

          Feb 14, 2020#4

          Peter, I sent on 2020-02-10 an email to IDM support as stored in the attached ZIP file together with four other files attached to the email. I got the reply that IDM will look at making these changes.
          advanced_settings_german.zip (143.1 KiB)   0
          This ZIP file contains the email and its attachments as sent by me to IDM support.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

          1581
          Power UserPower User
          1581

            Feb 14, 2020#5

            great 👍
            UE 26.20.0.74 German / Win 10 x 64 Pro

            6,624550
            Grand MasterGrand Master
            6,624550

              Sep 27, 2020#6

              The improvements on user interface (ribbon tabs, menus, etc.) are  implemented all in German UE v27.00.0.54 and UES v20.00.0.36. They could be implemented even in a former version of UE v27.00, but that could not be verified by me due to missing German version for verification. I use usually the English version. Most of the suggested help improvements are applied also to the help installed with German UE v27.00.0.54. The German help was improved further for German UltraEdit v27.10.0.76 (first public released v27.10). There are just three very small mistakes remaining in German help of UE v27.10.0.76 regarding to the German plural word Skripte which I have reported today to IDM support by email.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria