Is it possible to add a single frequently opened file shortcut to quick access toolbar?

Is it possible to add a single frequently opened file shortcut to quick access toolbar?

NewbieNewbie

Jan 29, 2021#1

Is it possible to add a Quick Access button to open a frequently used file?

Yes, I know File > Recently Opened is available but it requires multiple clicks to navigate.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 29, 2021#2

This is possible since UltraEdit for Windows v25.00 using an UltraEdit script which has for example the file name Open favorite file.js and which is added with the Scripts dialog window opened with a click on ribbon tab Advanced on the item All scripts. The script could should be something like:

Code: Select all

var sFavoriteFile = "C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\changes.txt";
      for (var nDocIndex = 0; nDocIndex < UltraEdit.document.length; nDocIndex++)
      {
         // This string comparison is done case-sensitive!
         if (UltraEdit.document[nDocIndex].path == sFavoriteFile)
         {
            UltraEdit.document[nDocIndex].setActive();
            break;
         }
      }
      if (nDocIndex == UltraEdit.document.length) UltraEdit.open(sFavoriteFile);

The command is listed in the list of Commands on tab Customize Quick Access Toolbar with the name of the script file.

But I would not use this method. I think, it is better to click on first ribbon tab File on third item Favorite files and add to this list the favorite file which is used frequently. The command Favorite files can be also added to the quick access toolbar. It is also possible to assign a hotkey or chord to this command at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Key mapping for quick opening the Favorite Files dialog window by key. The selection of a file or folder in the list is also possible by key by typing the beginning of the file/folder name as well as opening the selected favorite file or favorite folder with ENTER or RETURN.

The File View window contains also the tab Lists with the list Favorites for quick opening a favorite file/folder. A file can be easily added to the Favorites list by dragging its file tab to the Favorites list item and dropping it here.

I recommend to read also the topic How to set up multiple favorite files lists and group favorite files in a list? on which I explained the usage of Favorites list even more detailed.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria