Is it possible to disable Edge WebView2 in UltraEdit?

Is it possible to disable Edge WebView2 in UltraEdit?

NewbieNewbie

Jan 20, 2023#1

Is it possible to disable Edge WebView2?

I mean, I hate programs that launch "other" programs (in this case UltraEdit that, at start, launches Edge WebView2) when I do not need them. I'd like to use other "new" features in version 2022.2 but not this one (unless required).

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    UltraEdit 2022.2 64 bit

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 27, 2023#2

I see that 2022.1 (which I previously ran) originated the feature:

"UE 2022.1 comes with the integration of WebView2, a Chromium-powered rendering engine that significantly upgrades browser view and live preview. This replaces the Internet Explorer-based control to render HTML used in older versions of UltraEdit."

But something is different in 2022.2, because whenever I run UE now WebView is used (there are a slew of subordinate webview2.exe process under UE, and I don't mean in connection with doing what's described above but editing simple text files). That shouldn't be.

That did not happen in 2022.1. I know that for sure because I would have noticed over a period of months. I'm not saying that the processes were never spawned in that version, but if they were it was briefly.

Is this a design change or a bug? If the latter, is there anything in UE that can be disabled to stop it?

I've killed the processes in the meantime with no ill effect, though of course once UE is restarted they're back (or, I suppose, if I did any of the previewing mentioned above, which I haven't been doing).

Win11 22H2
      UE 22.2.0.34

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 28, 2023#3

unpack778 wrote:Is it possible to disable Edge WebView2?
        rseiler wrote:Is this a design change or a bug? If the latter, is there anything in UE that can be disabled to stop it?
        The only configuration setting added with UltraEdit for Windows and UEStudio v2022.2.0.34 is Disable syntax coloring in selections at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor display - Syntax highlighting. I don't think that there is a hidden configuration setting which disables the automatic start of Edge WebView2. Further I think the questions should be asked UltraEdit support by email or technical support form. I doubt that any UltraEdit/UEStudio user can really answer them based on facts.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 01, 2023#4

It continues in today's x.44 release, increasing the chances that it's by design. What a curiosity.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 02, 2023#5

That the public published hotfix version 2022.2.0.44 still starts Edge WebView2 on start of UltraEdit/UEStudio on Windows where Edge WebView2 is available at all does not mean that this is by design.

The reason could be also that nobody has reported that behavior as an issue by email to UltraEdit support. I did not report that because I use UE and UES mainly on Windows 7 and just rarely on Windows 11 because of using the notebook with Windows 11 just rarely. It does not matter for me for that reason.

It is also possible that this not wanted behavior is reported as an issue by a user to UltraEdit support, but the priority to fix it is lower than the priority of other issues.

I don't know which issues has been addressed in 2022.2.0.44 in comparison to 2022.2.0.34 as the UltraEdit hotfix information page does not contain yet any information about changes and fixes and the UEStudio hotfix information page does not exist anymore at all. It looks like the update of the UltraEdit web site is not yet finished.

The unwanted behavior of starting Edge WebView2 should be reported as an issue by email to UltraEdit support by every user who does not like that. The more users report an issue or complain about an unwanted behavior, the higher becomes the priority for fixing it or making a change to get the wanted behavior (back).
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 02, 2023#6

OK, I did that, and the gist of the response is:
              • Due to changes Microsoft made to WebView2, changes were made to UE to "verify that Webview2 is installed on a system."
              • So, that's why the processes are immediately spawned, but it is a bug that they're not then closed. It's implied that this will be addressed in a coming release.
              That's the good news. The bad news is that "more and more functionality" will be dependent on WebView2 in the future, meaning that the above will eventually become intended, which is unfortunate, because at that point UE will have essentially become an Electron-like app (there are far too many of those now).

Feb 08, 2023#7

FYI: Corrected in 2022.2.0.48