Is there a way to save font size settings?

Is there a way to save font size settings?

17:58 - 14 days ago#1

For example, there are 2 different font sizes that I'd like to save, one for my general usage, and another [larger size] for when I share my screen with others.  I'd like these saved settings to affect both normal and column modes so I'm able to seamlessly switch between them.  I wasn't able to find such a feature but I personally have wanted something like this for quite some time.  Any feedback is much appreciated.

Grand MasterGrand Master

5:35 - 13 days ago#2

The font settings for normal text editing and for hex/column mode editing are stored in the UltraEdit INI file which is %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ue.ini for UltraEdit for Windows 2023.2.0.41.

It would be better for uses cases as described by you if these two settings would be stored in the layout file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile\*.in1. That would make it possible to define a layout with name Standard for working with standard font sizes and another layout named Presentation with increased font sizes for all three editing modes.
      Another possibility would be storing the font settings for all three editing modes in the theme file instead of the INI file. That would make it possible to switch the theme for standard working mode and for presentation mode. There are other font settings stored in the theme file making it possible to have larger fonts in presentation theme than in standard theme also for the output window and the views.
      A third possibility would be moving the font settings for the document window area into the layout file and also the setting which theme to use from the INI file into the layout file. That would make it possible to change with the layout also the theme.
      I recommend requesting such an enhancement by email to UltraEdit support for getting it perhaps in a future version of UltraEdit.

In the meantime it is only possible to use the commands +Increase font size and -Decrease font size in toolbar menu mode with traditional menus with the names Zoom in (increase font size) and Zoom out (decrease font size) in ribbon mode and in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus and in the Key mapping configuration dialog in the Commands list at the bottom for quickly change the font size in current editing mode. The mouse wheel zoom capability can be also used to change quickly the font size in current editing mode.

Another possibility is making a copy of %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ue.ini with name uep.ini in same directory. Then make a copy of the UltraEdit shortcut file with name UltraEdit presentation and modify the shortcut property Target with appending /fni /I="%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uep.ini". The usage of this shortcut results in starting a new instance of UltraEdit using the alternate INI file in which the two font settings for all three editing modes are changed to larger font sizes. There could be used also a different theme for the presentation mode as currently stored also in the INI file. A disadvantage of this solution is that it is necessary on each upgrade of UltraEdit to start once also UltraEdit in presentation mode to upgrade also the second INI file. Another disadvantage is that changes in configuration stored in the INI file must be done twice for both INI files.

It would be also possible to use a shortcut file for UltraEdit in presentation mode which runs a PowerShell script. The PowerShell script first modifies the font settings in ue.ini (and the theme setting) and then starts UltraEdit (with the option /fni or the PowerShell script first gracefully terminates all currently running UltraEdit processes before modifying ue.ini). The PowerShell script keeps running in background and waits for the exit of UltraEdit started in presentation mode with increased font sizes (and a different theme). Then the script restores in ue.ini the font settings to standard sizes (and the theme) for working with UltraEdit.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria