Key Mapping - cursor to top (and bottom) of file.

Key Mapping - cursor to top (and bottom) of file.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 07, 2005#1

Hi,

I just did a clean OS install and need to alter my UltraEdit key mappings. I used to have custom shortcuts that would scroll the currently focused text file to the top of the file and to the bottom of the file. Now (despite going through all the mappings 3 times) I can't find the correct mapping to do this. The closest I can find is 'Cursor to top of window' (or bottom) but there's no 'cursor to top of file'. What is the correct mapping?

Thanks.

MasterMaster

Feb 07, 2005#2

Ctrl-HOME
      Ctrl-END
      Software For Metalworking
      http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Feb 07, 2005#3

Thanks, but...

oops. I changed them from that to try 'top of screen' (I was changing all my mappings in one go). How do I change them back?

MasterMaster

Feb 07, 2005#4

Advanced > Configuration > Key Mapping

You can change them individually, or there's a Default button (which I've never tried)
          Software For Metalworking
          http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Feb 07, 2005#5

Sorry you missed the point. The problem is not knowing how to change them it's which one moves the cursor to the top of the file.

Cheers.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 07, 2005#6

CursorToTopOfFile and CursorToBottomOfFile are not available it the list. Try to delete your wrong CTRL+HOME assignment and test, if CTRL+HOME moves the cursor to top of file.

If not try setting everything to default with the Default button.

If this also does not work, delete or rename the uedit32.kbd file to get the default keyboard mapping. The key mapping file has the same filename as the ini-file and is located in the same directory as the ini-file.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 07, 2005#7

Thanks, got it going. Cheers.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 06, 2019#8

The standard commands to move caret in a window working in all Windows applications using one of the GUI libraries written by Microsoft and installed by default on Windows are not available for customization in key mapping configuration dialog.

But it is no problem to use Ctrl+PgUp to move caret (and view) to top and Ctrl+PgDn to bottom of active file using two macros stored in one macro file which is configured to be automatically loaded on startup of UltraEdit.

I assume on the step by step instructions that UltraEdit for Windows v26.20.0.46 is used with ribbon mode as GUI mode.
                  1. Select ribbon tab Advanced.
                  2. Click in fourth group Script on item All scripts and Remove the two scripts added by you already to use Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn to move caret to top and bottom of file and close the dialog window with OK.
                  3. Click in third group Macro on the down arrow right to item Configure.
                  4. There is currently no macro file loaded if the pop-up menu item Delete all macros is grayed out.
                    Otherwise click on Delete all macros if you do not want to append the two macros to create next to this macro file.
                    Ignore Delete all macros if there is a macro file loaded and you want to append the two macros to this macro file.
                  5. Click in third group Macro on the down arrow right to item Configure if Delete all macros was clicked in previous step and click on pop-up menu item Edit macro.
                  6. Click on button New macro.
                  7. Enter for the first macro a name you like, for example Go to bottom.
                  8. Uncheck the two properties Show cancel dialog for this macro and Continue if search string not found.
                  9. Click into edit area of macro property Hotkey and press key combination Ctrl+PgDn.
                  10. Click on button OK.
                  11. Confirm with click on button OK that you want to assign Ctrl+PgDn to this macro despite this hotkey is assigned already to an internal command of UltraEdit.
                  12. Select the three macro commands on left side and replace them with the two commands Bottom and Key RIGHT ARROW.
                  13. Click on button New macro.
                  14. Enter for the second macro a name you like, for example Go to top.
                  15. Uncheck the two properties Show cancel dialog for this macro and Continue if search string not found.
                  16. Click into edit area of macro property Hotkey and press key combination Ctrl+PgUp.
                  17. Click on button OK.
                  18. Confirm with click on button Yes that you want to update the first macro still displayed below before creating the second macro.
                  19. Select the three macro commands on left side and replace them with the two commands Top and Key LEFT ARROW.
                  20. Click on button Close.
                  21. Click on button Yes to confirm updating second macro.
                  22. Click in third group Macro on the down arrow right to item Configure and next on pop-up menu item Save all macros.
                  23. Save the two macros either into macro file which was loaded already before or into a new macro file, for example with name AutoLoad.mac.
                  24. Click in third group Macro on the down arrow right to item Configure and next on pop-up menu item Set macro for auto-load.
                  25. Click on button Browse and browse to the macro file just saved before.
                  26. Let the edit field for Macro name to execute (optional) empty and keep also value 0 for option Number of times to execute before clicking on button OK.
                  That's it.

Every time you start UltraEdit, UltraEdit loads the configured macro file AutoLoad.mac and the two macros Go to bottom and Go to top can be executed with Ctrl+PgDn and Ctrl+PgUp.

The macro commands Key RIGHT ARROW and Key LEFT ARROW in addition to Bottom and Top are necessary to get updated also the vertical scroll bar on using Ctrl+PgDn and Ctrl+PgUp to go to bottom and top of the file. The vertical scroll bar would be updated without those two additional Key commands only on next key press which moves the caret in active file.
                  Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria