Keyboard shortcuts for next file difference

Keyboard shortcuts for next file difference

NewbieNewbie

Jun 03, 2021#1

Most folder diff tools allow you to jump to the next difference in the next file with the same key as Next Difference. E.g. I have F3 mapped to Next Difference. I should be able to jump to all diffs across all files in the folder compare by just pressing F3. Instead when I reach the last diff in a file, F3 simply does nothing, rather than goto the first diff in the next file.

Even worse, if I close the current file diff with ctrl-F4, now the active focus is nowhere meaningful in the folder diff view. Pressing any of tab/shift-tab/F3/down arrow will not move to the next file to diff. Arrow keys to navigate the folder diff view and Enter to diff the highlighted file need to consistently work. The only way this seems useable is using the mouse to select files in the folder diff view and then pressing Enter (or double clicking) to diff the files, which is cumbersome for many files.

What am I missing?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 03, 2021#2

That is a very good explanation how to more efficiently process all the differences in all different files of a folder comparison using keyboard instead of the pointing device as most likely used by the vast majority of UltraCompare users. But currently latest UltraCompare v21.10.0.18 does not support that. The text or binary file comparison session opened from a a folder comparison session is not aware of the folder comparison session. For that reason key F3 used to go to Next Difference is applied only within the text or binary file comparison session There is no command available which works over multiple comparison sessions, i.e. takes the results of a folder comparison also into account on being executed on a text/binary file comparison session opened from a folder comparison session. You have to send an enhancement request email to IDM support if you would like to have such a feature in a future version of UltraCompare.

I cannot completely reproduce the described input focus issue after closing a text/file comparison session started from a folder comparison session with Ctrl+F4. I can press key F3 for Next Difference or key F4 for Previous Difference after Ctrl+F4 with UltraCompare v21.10.0.18 running on Windows 7 with toolbar/menu mode resulting in a jump to next/previous difference in the folder comparison. The folder comparison gets automatically back the input focus after closing the text/binary comparison session with Ctrl+F4.

But I found out that hitting key RETURN does not work anymore after closing a file comparison with Ctrl+F4 to start a text/binary file comparison with the currently selected different files in folder comparison. It is necessary to explicitly click into to folder comparison session window with the primary pointing device button to be able to use again RETURN for starting a file comparison session with the next/previous different files. The UP/DOWN ARROW keys are also not working in folder comparison window after closing the file comparison session with Ctrl+F4. This is an input focus issue which I have just reported to IDM support by email.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 03, 2021#3

Thanks for the details on folder/file integration.

For the keyboard issue, that's exactly what I'm seeing - return no longer works (though F3 does goto the next file/folder) until you use the mouse, meaning that the input focus is not where it should be on return to the folder view. F3 followed by Tab followed by Enter used to work but no longer does in the latest build. It seems consideration to keyboard use hasn't been catered for well (tab ordering, initial focus, etc) which is unfortunate because that's essential for very large diffs with many files.

Appreciate trying to repro and reporting the issue. I'll check with them if implementing jump to next file on F3 is something that would be a simple feature addition or difficult to add given the design.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 15, 2021#4

There is an improvement regarding to navigation with keys through the text differences in multiples different files as found out by a folder compare with UltraCompare Professional for Windows v21.10.0.46.

The following key sequence works now after running a folder compare which finds two or more text files existing in both folders but having different contents:
          1. Press F3 to move to first line with different files in folder comparison.
          2. Press RETURN to start a text/binary file comparison for the pair of different files.
          3. Press F3 to move to first difference in the text/binary file comparison.
          4. Repeat pressing F3 to move to next difference in the text/binary file comparison until reaching last difference.
          5. Press Ctrl+F4 to close the text/binary file comparison session and go back to the folder comparison.
          6. Press F3 to move to next line with different files in folder comparison.
          7. Redo the steps 2 to 6 until reaching last pair of different files in folder comparison.
          So UC v21.10.0.46 fixes the input focus issue for the reactivated folder comparison session after closing a comparison session with Ctrl+F4.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria