Large files support - greater than 1GB etc

Large files support - greater than 1GB etc

NewbieNewbie

Apr 21, 2006#1

Can UltraEdit be configured to only load part of a file into a buffer. I am an Oracle DBA, and frequently have very large trace or logfiles to look at - from 100s of MB up to a few GB. Trying to load the whole file into memory is not going to work.

Can UltraEdit do a partial file load to scan through the file?

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 21, 2006#2

To speed up work on big files:

1. Disable backuping (Advanced > File Handling > Backup)
      2. Change settings for editing files (Advanced > File Handling > Temporary Files)

I bet there are a few more options you will be able to tweak. But it seems to me these are the 2 main things.
      A source of incoherent bullshit since 1986

NewbieNewbie

Jul 26, 2006#3

UltraEdit 12.10a locks up (or probably just gets super slow) when opening really large XML files.

I can open large files. Configuration/File Handling/Temporary Files allows you to turn temp files off when the file is large and it works fine for plain text files.

When the file is XML, though, it doesn't seem to work. My guess is that UltraEdit is trying to do some kind of fancy formatting. I turned off code folding and this did not help. Renaming the file extension to something other than .xml did not help either.

How can I get UltraEdit to treat xml just like any other file?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 26, 2006#4

I guess, your XML files are encoded in UTF-8. You can see that at the status bar of UltraEdit. UTF-8 files must be temporarily converted to UTF-16 LE (Unicode little endian) for editing. This could cause the long delay. If your XML files do not contain characters encoded in UTF-8 (2 byte characters), you should convert it to ASCII and adapt the encoding information at top of the XML file.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Site AdminSite Admin

Apr 25, 2007#5

You will want to read the Power Tip "Large File Handling" here:

Large File Handling Power Tip