List Lines Containing String - quit working

List Lines Containing String - quit working

NewbieNewbie

Jan 21, 2005#1

List Line Containing String used to work. Now it does not. I must of changed something but I have no idea of what. I type in the string I searching for at the Find What prompt, select List Line Containing String and click Find Next. The program finds the next occurrance and positions the cursor at the word or phrase. I used to get a box with all the lines in it.
    I have the current version 10.20d+.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jan 22, 2005#2

Hi Mark

Your real close, your missing a check mark in the box that says

"List Lines Containing String"

This feature is only found on the "Find" popup window.

Hope this helps!

NewbieNewbie

Feb 04, 2005#3

MrBillG, I did have the check box selected. Like I said it was working. It would include all the lines in the popup window. Now for some reason it does not.

SAbboushi, that was what I was trying to do. When the List Line Containing String option was working it would copy all the matching lines to a popup window which I would then select all the lines and paste them into a new window.

Now the popup window does not show up and it takes me to the first instance of the search string.

Thanks!

Mar 06, 2005#4

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I've tried...
          ...changing options under Advanced -> Configuration -> Find.
          ...unmarking remarking the "List Lines Containing String" checkbox.
          ...installing version 11.00a over my 10.20+ version.
          ...uninstalling then reinstalling version 11.00a without keeping configuration files.

None of it has worked. I can't get this feature to work again. This feature is the greatest reason why I bought a licence. Has anybody else who has experienced this found a fix?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 08, 2005#5

JosephHarkema
            I don't know if this will help you or not. I was playing around with trying to fix my problem and I thought about the output list. I clicked on View, then Views/ Lists, Output Window. When I did this the window with the list popped up. It seemed to come from below the screen that I could see. My program is now working correctly.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. They are truly appreciated!

Mark Fowler

NewbieNewbie

Jul 06, 2006#6

I saw a similar behavior a few weeks ago and was stumped as well.

In my case it turned out that the box with all the lines in it was still trying to popup on an external monitor which was no longer connected. Apparently UltraEdit is not smart enough to know when you've changed your display settings.

Support you have a dual-monitor setup with your laptop's LCD as the primary and a CRT as a secondary - if your popup window was on the CRT when it was last closed UE will still attempt to render the window on the CRT even if it isn't connected (i.e. you've undocked your laptop and gone home).

Hope this helps to solve your problem :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 06, 2006#7

Open UltraEdit, copy the following 3 lines into a new ASCII text file and save the file with the extension .reg, for example RestoreListLinesDialog.reg.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\FunctionListDialog]

Then close UltraEdit and double click on the reg file to import it, which in real deletes the key FunctionListDialog where the List Lines Containing String dialog settings are stored. Don't wonder about the name of the key. It is really the List Lines Containing String dialog and not the function list.

There are also other dialog settings stored in the registry since v12.00 which can also suddenly disappear. For example the AsciiTableDialog - ASCII Table, FavoriteDialog - Favorite Files, GoToDialog - Goto Line/Page, TagModifyDialog - Modify Tags, ToolbarConfigDialog - Customize Toolbar, ...
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 11, 2006#8

Actually, here is a better solution for those using the Registry for configuration settings. This simply resets the location of the window (100 pixels from top-left corner of main screen) instead of deleting the entire key and thus losing the other window location settings.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\FunctionListDialog]
                  @=hex:64,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,49,02,00,00,63,01,00,00

NewbieNewbie

May 10, 2013#9

If you are running version 19 the above registry keys aren't present. Instead the location of the window information is kept in the 'Uedit32.in0' file located in the '%appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit' folder. You can cut the file out to the desktop like I did and let it get re-created, or I'm sure someone else on here who is more clever (or wants to spend the time) can tell us where in that file this window is located to be edited directly.

After I removed the file and restarted UE, the 'list lines containing string' box was in its default location again.

Note: the View>View List>Recover Floating Windows did not fix this issue.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 10, 2013#10

The lines containing the string of interest are not displayed anymore in a dialog window since UltraEdit for Windows v18.00 and UEStudio v12.20.

They are now listed in a view window which can be visible docked, hidden docked with a visible tab, or floating. For more details see:

What is 'Find String List'?

If the window is not visible, it should be first checked in submenu Views/Lists of menu View if the menu item Find String List is displayed with a checked state indicating that the window is enabled. Click on this menu item to toggle the visibility of this view.

If the Find String List window is still not visible, check if there is on any side of the UE/UES main window a tab with the label Find String List. If there is such a tab, move the mouse pointer over it and the window appears. The pin symbol in the title bar of this window toggles auto-hide mode.

Next command to use to get the window back is View - Views/Lists - Recover Floating Windows. It is important for this command that the UE/UES main window itself is completely within visible area on the screen(s) and the main window is not set for being always on top, i.e. View - Always on Top is not checked.

Now the window should be visible and easy to find within UE/UES window except it's width and height are set accidentally to very small values.

[Dockbars.002BasePane-33424]
                      IsVisible=1

stores visibility information of the Find String List window in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.in0 respectively %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\uestudio.in0 (default INI file directories).

Section [Dockbars.002Pane-33424] contains all other data of the window. Deleting this section, best with Notepad while UE/UES not running, results in restoring the window at default location on next opening.