Missing icons on application title bar

Missing icons on application title bar

NewbieNewbie

Jan 25, 2023#1

For some reason the full screen/minimize/close icons are not displaying on the right hand side of my title bar. When I mouseover that corner I can see the background of the icons highlight. Display resolution is 3840x2160. This is on Windows 11 and I don't have this issue with any other program. I've tried a re-install and also removed the ue.ini but neither action helped.

2023-01-25_11-37-50.jpg (133.58KiB)

Gary

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 25, 2023#2

The icons to minimize, restore/maximize or close UltraEdit at top right of the title bar of UltraEdit application window are displayed on Windows 7 on using UltraEdit v2022.2.0.34 in ribbon mode with UltraEdit Classic theme. This display issue is not reproducible by me.

I suggest to open in Windows File Explorer the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile, rename the file ue.rb0 (ribbon configuration file) to something other like ue.rb0.bak and start UltraEdit which recreates the ribbon configuration file with the default configuration. If that fixes the display issue with the three missing icons, delete ue.rb0.bak and customize the ribbon again if it was customized before at all.

Otherwise close UltraEdit, delete newly created ue.rb0, rename also ue.in0 (workspace configuration file) to ue.in0.bak and start UltraEdit again. If this display issue with the three missing icons is fixed now, delete the two .bak files.

Otherwise I have no idea at the moment how to fix that issue. It might work to switch temporarily to toolbar/menu mode with contemporary or traditional menus and then back to ribbon mode. That can be done by right clicking on the ribbon and clicking in the opened context menu in submenu Toolbar/menu mode on either Contemporary menus or Traditional menus and next right click on the toolbar and click in opened context menu on first item Ribbon mode. If that still does not fix the display issue, I would need the entire content of the UltraEdit application data directory compressed into a 7-Zip, RAR or ZIP file attached to your next post for further analyzing this display issue. You should make a copy of  %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit and remove from all configuration files sensitive data like your account name by replacing it with username and other folder/file strings which are confidential. This is a public user to user forum!

The application icon is also not displayed  at top left of the title bar of the UltraEdit application window. I reported by email to UltraEdit support on 17 Nov 2019 that with UltraEdit v26.20.0.46 on Windows 7 with Windows Classic desktop theme the application icon is not displayed in the title bar of the application window on using
      1. ribbon mode and
      2. the UltraEdit Classic theme.
      The issue does not exist with other themes and does not exist in toolbar/menu mode with either contemporary or traditional menus.

I use a custom UltraEdit theme derived from the UltraEdit Classic theme and a custom Windows 7 desktop theme derived from the standard Windows 7 Classic theme for optimal performance (no shadings, no color fadings, no transparency or any other stylish graphic effects). The missing application icon does not matter for me for that reason as shown in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus which is my preferred user interface mode. I switch temporarily to ribbon mode only for answering questions here in the user to user forums.

I suggest to report this issue also by email to UltraEdit support. Then there are at least two users who reported this issue. I am not sure if a developer of UltraEdit can fix that because I think the cause is a bug in the Microsoft GDI+ library of version 6.1.7601.24542 used by UltraEdit on Windows 7. It is good to know for me that Microsoft (or UltraEdit, Inc.) has not yet fixed that display issue even in currently latest GDI+ library installed on Windows 11.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 25, 2023#3

It looks like it has something to do with ribbon mode. Thanks for your suggestions. I tried everything but it wasn't until I followed your suggestion re switching to contemporary mode. That brings the icons back. I'll email Ultraedit with some screenshots and see what they say.

Thanks,

Gary