Missing progress indication on status bar with UltraCompare v20.20.0.32 (fixed)

Missing progress indication on status bar with UltraCompare v20.20.0.32 (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Nov 15, 2020#1

I recently upgraded to v20 from v15, and I can no longer tell if the program is working or hung, since there is no longer progress shown (files being read) in the status bar at the bottom of the application window like there was in v15 - when the files to sync is being calculated (not the actual sync). I am syncing rather large folders and it takes a while. V15 would often hang, but I knew it was working when I saw the progress in the status bar. With V20, there is no bar, and the output window shows nothing while it is calculating the sync. I've found no way to enable such a display, so I have assume it has been removed. Can someone please let me know if there is a way to enable it, or if there is another indication that something is happening.

Also, even though I've compared the configuration settings side-by-side, v20 seems markedly slower than v15.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shane

MasterMaster

Nov 15, 2020#2

Options->Configuration->Application Layout->Show Progress
      It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 15, 2020#3

I have that checked, but there is no status at the bottom of the window. I see the line that shows the Sync Rules, Customize Rules button, etc., but not the files being read like in v15. There is no indication that anything is happening, except that the Red Stop "X" button at the top and the scroll bar gets smaller and moves up, but not actively for a very large sync. Do you see anything at the bottom during a sync? Perhaps it has been removed in v20.

MasterMaster

Nov 15, 2020#4

Yes, I see progress in progress bar at the bottom of the screen while comparing files ......

NewbieNewbie

Nov 15, 2020#5

I got  nothing! WTH? I'm on UC Pro 64 V20.20.0.32 on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. This is what I see at the bottom of my window during a Folder Compare OR a Sync.
            temp.jpg (4.35KiB)

MasterMaster

Nov 15, 2020#6

See attached file, UltraCompare Professional 64-bit Version 20.20.0.36 Windows 7 SP1 x64

Progress.wmv (340.04 KiB)   0

NewbieNewbie

Nov 15, 2020#7

That's exactly what I'm looking for and would expect, but I just don't have it. Could this be related to themes somehow? I'm at a loss. I just reinstalled it, but that didn't help, and updated to the latest version.
                Untitled-1.jpg (24.93KiB)

Nov 15, 2020#8

Something weird is going on. When I check the "Use registry for settings" box above and save, and reopen the settings box, it is unchecked again. I don't see any setting about Show Progress in the INI file either. Pehaps my settings are hosed. I'm going to rename it and see if it creates a new one.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 15, 2020#9

There have been lots of changes between UltraCompare v15.xx and v20.20.0.36. Build 36 is important for this issue as it can be read on UltraCompare hotfix information page with following information for this hotfix version:
                    • Addressed issue with status bar
                    I recommend to do following:
                    1. In ribbon mode click on ribbon tab Home on item Settings. In toolbar/menu mode click in menu Options on menu item Configuration. Navigate to Application Layout, uncheck Use registry for settings (not INI file) which was checked by default in UC v15.00 and is not checked anymore by default with UC v20.20 on new configurations. Click on button OK and exit UltraCompare.
                    2. Uninstall UC v20.20.0.32 without deactivating the license and without deletion of user configuration.
                    3. Open a command prompt and run the following three command lines:

Code: Select all

reg delete "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare" /f
                      reg delete "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare Pro" /f
                      ren "%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare" UltraCompareOldConfig
                      Exit the command prompt after running these three command lines.
                    4. Restart Windows to really complete the uninstall (deletion of shell extension DLLs).
                    5. Download UltraCompare v20.20.0.36 and install it.
                    6. Start UltraCompare which recreates the entire folder %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare with all settings set to default as defined by UC v20.20.
                    7. If you have not made lots of changes on configuration, then I recommend to make the few changes on the new default configuration and after some time, when you are sure it is safe that no information is needed from old configuration, delete the folder %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompareOldConfig. In Windows registry are stored by default with UC v20.20 only the settings for Windows File Explorer integration.
                    8. Otherwise with lots of customizations in configuration which should not be lost, exit UltraCompare, rename %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare to UltraCompareNewDefault, rename %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompareOldConfig to UltraCompare and restart UltraCompare. Later you should use UltraCompare for comparing the folders and files in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare with re-used old configuration with %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompareNewDefault and clean up the folders and files in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare before final deletion of %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompareNewDefault.
                    Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 15, 2020#10

Mofi, that did it. I now have the progress shown on status bar. It was driving me bonkers.

Thank you!