Most fonts have suddenly become unavailable (solved)

Most fonts have suddenly become unavailable (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Sep 07, 2021#1

Immediately after updating UltraEdit to version 28.10.0.154 on Windows 10, it lost the ability to show any fonts other than the monospace fonts. It is behaving as though I am always restricted to the column mode fonts, even when not in column mode.

Please advise, thank you.

Power UserPower User

Sep 08, 2021#2

Hi,
      I'm also running UE 28.10.0.154, and I've just looked into this.  I use the modern menu layout and when I select View/Fonts/Select Font , as per your comment, it only displays the list of mono spaced fonts.
      Fonts 1.png (28.28KiB)

However if I go the Settings/Editor/Word wrap / tab settings and click the Font button there it displays the list of all fonts installed on my system.
      Fonts 2.png (73.31KiB)

I'll notify IDM support in regard to this and you should also as the more reports they get, the higher the priority the issue receives.

Cheers,

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2021#3

Ah ha, yes, I am able to re-set the font properly from there, thank you.

Power UserPower User

Sep 08, 2021#4

I got the following response back from IDM support this morning, which indicates that this is a design feature from UE 27.10 onwards.

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your message.  In UltraEdit v27.10 we added support for displaying an unlimited number of columns on a single line.  This is enabled by going to Advanced -> Settings -> Editor display -> Miscellaneous and selecting Do not force wrap (display unlimited columns) - and this is now set by default.  In order to support unlimited columns, we do have to limit display to monospace fonts. 

If you don't want this limitation, you can uncheck this option and you should be able to select fonts as you expected.

Cheers,

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2021#5

I did too, but that misses the point; the fonts become unavailable for regular, non-column mode too... That's the bug.

Steps to reproduce:
            1. Open a text file in Ultra Edit in non-column mode.
            2. Switch to column mode.
            3. Select View -> Font
            4. Select a different font and hit 'Set'.
            5. Note that the column-mode font has changed.
            6. Switch back to regular, non-column mode.
            7. Note that the font is still on the column-mode font.
            8. Select View -> Font
            9. Note that only monospace fonts are available.

Power UserPower User

Sep 09, 2021#6

As per the info from IDM support, I unchecked the "Do not force wrap (display unlimited columns)" option and then followed your steps above.  When I switched back to non-column mode and went to View/Font/ Set Font the drop down presented all fonts installed on my system.

Cheers,

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2021#7

Ah, I understand now. I thought that was meant to only apply when in column mode. Guess not. Sorry, and thanks again!