New install of UEX 21.00.00 on Ubuntu 22.04.01 consistently hangs after some time (solved)

New install of UEX 21.00.00 on Ubuntu 22.04.01 consistently hangs after some time (solved)

NewbieNewbie

May 03, 2023#1

Problem description:

I launch UEX.
    I use UEX.
    I have four text files open.
    I am doing things like regular expression search and replace.
    I am editing a markdown editor with the live preview
    I leave it idle for some time.
    I go back to it.
    It is consuming 35% CPU (according to top)
    I can move the window around.
    I can't type in the window.
    I can click to close the window.
    I get the window prompt to save or just close.
    I can't do anything with that window.
    Clicking using shortcuts on the buttons has no effect.
    Eventually I kill the process.
    I lose all my work.

Context:

I'm a licensed user.

Download of version 21.00.0.0, Feb 16, 2022 from: https://downloads.ultraedit.com/main/ue/linux/deb/focal/uex_21.00.0.0_amd64.deb

Code: Select all

Linux ubuntu 5.19.0-41-generic #42~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Apr 18 17:40:00 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS"
    NAME="Ubuntu"
    VERSION_ID="22.04"
    VERSION="22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
    VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
    ID=ubuntu
    ID_LIKE=debian
    HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
    SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
    PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
    UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy

Memory
                   total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            10Gi       8.1Gi       595Mi       249Mi       2.3Gi       2.3Gi
    Swap:          2.0Gi       7.0Mi       2.0Gi

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs           1.1G  2.4M  1.1G   1% /run
    /dev/sda5        98G   49G   45G  53% /
    tmpfs           5.5G   41M  5.5G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
    vmhgfs-fuse     819G  561G  259G  69% /mnt/hgfs
    /dev/sda1       511M  4.0K  511M   1% /boot/efi
    tmpfs           1.1G  148K  1.1G   1% /run/user/1000

May 03, 2023#2

OK - so this is a different problem I'm going to mention now. Yes. I know it should be a separate thread, but man... it just feels like uex is wonky.

In this case, I was editing my markdown file and I'd reach the same place in the file each time and then I would try to delete a character and the half the file would be deleted. Undo did not work. I have auto-save turned on for every two minutes and so have been able to sort of keep my data, but uex is unusable!

Here are the log messages I got from running the executable:

perftest@ubuntu:~/scratch/log$ tail -f log-20230503-163101.txt 

(uex:9241): Gdk-WARNING **: 16:32:59.874: Tried to map a popup with a non-top most parent
      Gdk-Message: 16:36:03.510: Window 0x5562cc90b070 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.

(uex:9241): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:36:03.539: gdk_wayland_window_handle_configure_popup: assertion 'impl->transient_for' failed
      Gdk-Message: 16:36:30.227: Window 0x5562cc90ba30 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.

(uex:9241): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:36:30.264: gdk_wayland_window_handle_configure_popup: assertion 'impl->transient_for' failed
      Gdk-Message: 16:36:59.104: Window 0x5562cfd1a540 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.

(uex:9241): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:36:59.192: gdk_wayland_window_handle_configure_popup: assertion 'impl->transient_for' failed
      Gdk-Message: 16:37:55.911: Window 0x5562cfde58b0 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.

(uex:9241): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:37:55.998: gdk_wayland_window_handle_configure_popup: assertion 'impl->transient_for' failed
      Gdk-Message: 16:38:20.488: Window 0x5562d01ab860 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.

(uex:9241): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:38:20.505: gdk_wayland_window_handle_configure_popup: assertion 'impl->transient_for' failed
      Here is the text I was editing:

**Preconditions:**

- collect the raw data
      - add the size column
      - stretch out all of the possible labels as headers.
      - Add a 1 or zero for each row for each column corresponding to a label.

At this point we have 1 long row for each issue or PR

**Create a summary of a Sprint**

- For this summary we want to show how many points were accomplished during a sprint for each Label.
      - If we have 2 of these summaries we add them together to know the totals for a month.
      - I'm going to walk through a very specific use case, so this does not demonstrate every scenario.

_Filter the data down to what we want to include

We want rows where:

The "state" column value is "open".
      The value in the column named "column" is one of:
      - This Sprint 🏃‍♀️ 🏃",
                  "IQSS Team - In Progress  💻",
                  "Ready for Review ⏩",
                  "In Review 🔎",
                  "Ready for QA ⏩",
                  "QA ✅",
                  "Done 🚀",

# Columns are the labels 

# X,Y values:
      e.g. for "▶ SPRINT READY" each column is the sum of the points from all of the items that were in 

May 03, 2023#3

Crud.
        I''m guessing that someone is going to point out at some point that I"m running Ubuntu 22.04 and this was built for Ubuntu 20.04
        :(
        I'll try the generic Linux install.
        I'd hate to walk away from UltraEdit on Linux ugh.

The generic build won't run:

tail -f uexlog-20230503-164846.txt 

./uex/bin/uex: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
        If anyone has any suggests they'd be much appreciated. I love this editor.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 04, 2023#4

I use only UltraEdit for Windows and cannot really help for that reason. However, I want to give a perhaps valuable advice. The main difference between free and paid software is that the company offering paid software offers also support which is included by the payment for the license. It could be more helpful for you to contact support of UltraEdit, Inc. by email or using the technical support form, describe your problem with UEX 21.00.0.0 used on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS and ask for help than waiting for help by the UEX user community.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 04, 2023#5

Mofi,
            Thanks.  first time needing help.
            I'll head over to the support form.
            Mike

May 06, 2023#6

Just want to close this out.
              I reached out to support and they responded within a day!
              They could not reproduce the issue.
              So I rebooted my vm and started my screen recorder and re-did the install so I could demonstrate the issue.
              And... Nothing. Flawless.
              I have no idea - the issue was very obvious and happened quickly.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I did something dumb like uninstall and upgrade with ultraedit running which left something around on the OS? 

I'm going to chalk this up to user error.
              It's good to know that support responds so quick!