Optional sorting of personal tag list?

Optional sorting of personal tag list?

Power UserPower User

Mar 22, 2019#1

I started to create a tag list, and it seems that the entries in the list are strictly sorted by name.

Is there a way to define a personal sorting of the entries?

BTW: This string in the German help file seems to be outdated: "Standarddatei für Tags ist die taglist.txt-Datei"
    UE 26.20.0.74 German / Win 10 x 64 Pro

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 23, 2019#2

The tags of a tag list group are always displayed sorted even on resorting manually the lines of the tag list group directly in tag list file opened in UltraEdit / UEStudio. The Tag List Modify dialog adds a new tag also always alphabetically sorted to the list of tags of active tag list group. There is no setting, not even a hidden one, to get the tags displayed as listed in the tag list file. The tag list view itself always sorts the tags before displaying the list.

There is only the undocumented configuration setting Show Tag Descriptions=0/1 which could be manually added to section [Settings] in INI file used by UltraEdit/UEStudio with value 0 while UE/UES is not running to get the tags displayed in Tag List window without tag description resulting in a different order because of being sorted now according to begin (and end) tag.

It would be possible to start each tag description with a number whereby all numbers have the same number of digits to force a specific order. But that does not look very nice.

The usage of special Unicode characters never displayed like zero-width joiner or zero-width non-joiner inside tag descriptions is possible since UltraEdit for Windows v24.00 using by default a UTF-16 encoded tag list file. But they are of no help to get a custom order of the tags because those characters are ignored on alphabetic sort according to Unicode. And a thin space is interpreted like a normal space on sorting the tags and is displayed often also like a normal space depending on used font for the list views.

So I can just suggest to send a feature request email to IDM support asking for a context menu option to toggle sorting of tags of a tag list group in tag list view to give a user at least the possibility to sort the tags in the tag list file manually and getting them displayed as defined in tag list file.

It is right that taglist.txt is outdated in German help file as well as taglist.uet in English help file because the default file name is taglistu.uet since UltraEdit for Windows v24.00 and UEStudio v17.00. Well, installed in program files folder of UE/UES is still ANSI encoded taglist.uet which is just copied to application directory as UTF-16 encoded taglistu.uet.

Well, I am using a custom UTF-16 LE encoded tag list file with name taglistu.txt which is not stored in application data directory because the user has the freedom to select any tag list file in Tag List Modify dialog opened on clicking with secondary (right) mouse button into Tag List view and clicking on displayed context menu item Modify tags. I am using same custom tag list file in UltraEdit and in UEStudio.

However, I reported not up-to-date default file name of tag list file in most likely all helps of UltraEdit for Windows and UEStudio by email to IDM support to get this file name hopefully updated in a future version in all help files, too.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Power UserPower User

Mar 25, 2019#3

Thanks Mofi

especially "Show Tag Descriptions=0/1" is helpful!
        UE 26.20.0.74 German / Win 10 x 64 Pro