Problem with Find and Replace dialog window not appearing (solved)

Problem with Find and Replace dialog window not appearing (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Oct 03, 2023#1

I am having an issue with the Find and Replace  functions in UE. I had been using a version of UE that we installed a couple years ago or so. Hadn't been any issues until recently when there were problems getting the Find and Replace dialog box to appear, and sometimes even the small Quick Find box wouldn't appear.

Someone else had similar issues a while back and needed a complete reinstall. So, we did an reinstall/upgrade to the latest version of UE (2023.1.0.23 64-bit). However, the problems with the Find and Replace functions still exist. I can't bring up neither the Quick Find nor the general Find and Replace dialog box. The shortcuts don't work, clicking the Find icon does nothing, and selecting either Find or Replace from the Search drop-down menu does nothing. Simple things like Find Next and Find Previous do work.

I've tried altering the key mapping and having Ctrl+F assigned to Find, but that does nothing also. I'm not sure why this problem started happening in the previous version. It was something that would work off and on until it just wouldn't work at all. Perhaps some sort of auto-update occurred. It is just these problems with the Find and Replace dialogs. Everything else works. Would appreciate any assistance on this.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 03, 2023#2

Running the installer of UltraEdit for updating/reinstalling the program files usually stored for 64-bit UltraEdit for Windows in the directory %ProgramFiles%\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit does not change anything on the user configuration files usually stored in the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit.

The following instructions are more or less a copy of Find & Replace dialog box is gone. The file name and the directory of the workspace configuration file changed with UltraEdit for Windows v27.00 because of the Cloud feature introduced in this version of UltraEdit for Windows.

In case of Find and Replace window is docked on any side of UltraEdit main window and auto-hide feature is enabled for this window, look on the four sides of the main window for a tab with label Find and Replace and move mouse pointer over it to get the window displayed. The auto-hide feature can be toggled by clicking on pin symbol in title bar of Find and Replace view window. The docked window can be changed to a floating window by double clicking on a free area of the title bar of Find and Replace view window when auto-hide feature is not enabled as indicated by a vertically displayed pin symbol.

The position of the window is remembered by UltraEdit. I suppose it is opened outside currently visible screen area because last time it was moved by you on a second screen not available yet.

I suggest pressing Ctrl+R for opening the Replace window. Do the following for getting the floating Find and Replace window back into UltraEdit main window area:
      • On using UE in ribbon mode click on ribbon tab Layout in group Views on item Gather windows on right side of the ribbon tab.
      • On using UE in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus click in menu Layout on menu item Gather windows at bottom of the menu.
      • On using UE in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus click in menu View in submenu Views/Lists on menu item Recover floating windows at bottom of the submenu.
      But it is also possible that you have activated the option that UltraEdit main window is always on top of all other windows. In this case make sure that this option is not enabled at the moment.
      • On using UE in ribbon mode look on ribbon tab View in group Mode on item Always on top on top right side of the ribbon tab and check its status.
      • On using UE in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus look in menu View on menu item Always on top being the last but one item at bottom of the menu and check its status.
      • On using UE in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus look in menu View on menu item Always on top being fourth but one item at bottom of the menu.
      There can be also selected a different Layout then the currently used layout to get Find and Replace window back.
      • On using UE in ribbon mode click on ribbon tab Layout in first group Look and Feel on first item Layout, select a different layout and click on button Select layout.
      • On using UE in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus click in menu Layout in second submenu Layout on the first menu item Manage layouts, select a different layout and click on button Select layout.
      • On using UE in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus click in menu View in first submenu Layouts on first menu item Manage layouts..., select a different layout and click on button Select layout.
      The layout change can be done once again to restore the preferred layout.

In case of nothing helped,
      • close all running instances of UltraEdit,
      • copy directory path %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile into clipboard,
      • paste this path with Ctrl+V into address bar of Windows File Explorer,
      • hit key RETURN or ENTER to open this directory,
      • delete the file ue.in0.
      The file ue.in0 contains the workspace information, i.e. the information about visibility of each window, display mode of each window (floating, or docked without auto-hide or docked with auto-hide), screen position and the window dimensions. The deletion of the currently used workspace configuration file results on next start of UltraEdit in making a copy of the last used layout workspace file layout name.in1.

The last used layout is stored in the file ue.ini in directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit in section [Environment Settings] with the setting UEEnvironment="...". It is advisable to use the Layout Manager window opened as described above for saving the preferred layout as own layout with a name of your choice. That makes it easy possible restoring the preferred layout on having by mistake or by a file corruption somehow corrupted the preferred workspace configuration.

The entire user configuration can be also backed up by using the Backup / Restore User Customizations dialog window opened by clicking on ribbon tab Advanced on item Backup settings or in contemporary menu Advanced on menu item Backup settings or in traditional menu Advanced on menu item Backup/restore user customizations....
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 04, 2023#3

We had installed the latest version of UE and still had the problem. But, our license key wouldn't work for this version and we had to reinstall my original 26.x version. Anyway, I had come across that Find & Replace dialog box is gone post but wasn't quite getting what the solution might be. But, after clicking around with the Layout option, I did finally get the Find/Replace dialog to reappear. I had the layout set to Lean. I switched it to Balanced and the File View panel showed up on the left side. I then tried doing a Find and the Find and Replace dialog did appear. Not sure why it disappeared in the first place but all is good now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.