Problems with sorting

Problems with sorting

Jan 09, 2023#1

I use UltraEdit 2022.1.0.124 64-bit on PC running Windows10 64-bit. Sorting in UltraEdit has worked fine until recently, but now I've got problems.

Example:
    I am trying to sort the following file contents in descending ordrer (reverse) with the sort parameters as shown.
    UltraEdit1.JPG (48.8KiB)
    When I press the sort button, there is no reaction as it normally would be.

So I am marking all the text and try again
    UltraEdit2.JPG (47.46KiB)
    This time, I get the following result:
    UltraEdit3.JPG (13.71KiB)
    I am very familiar with the sort functionality in UltraEdit, but I am not able to figure out what I am doing wrong here, so I am suspecting that there might be an error in UltraEdit.
    I would appreciate response from others who might have encountered the same problem.

Thanks,
    Gunvald

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 09, 2023#2

I cannot reproduce such a sort problem with a new ANSI encoded file containing just three lines with Alpha, Oscar, Zulu with 32-bit UltraEdit 2022.1.0.124.

It could be helpful to have your text file and your sort settings as stored in file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile\ue.vod in group [Sort Settings] which should be:

Code: Select all

[Sort Settings]
      Ascending/Descending=1
      Col Num2=20
      Remove Dups By All Keys=1
      For a simple line sort the end column of key 1 should be -1, but 20 works, too.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jan 10, 2023#3

Hi Mofi,

Here's my settings from that file (identical):
        [Sort Settings]
        Ascending/Descending=1
        Col Num2=20
        Remove Dups By All Keys=1

I have attached my text file (it's just a testfile).

I'm afraid my problem is a local one, as it otherwise would cause a lot of discussions here, but I'm very thankful for help finding the cause.
        Phonetic.txt (192 Bytes)   4

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 10, 2023#4

The sort of your Windows-1252 encoded DOS text file works fine with 32-bit UltraEdit v2022.1.0.124. There is either a problem with 64-bit version or an installation issue or a file system issue.

I have not installed the 64-bit version and cannot run a test with 64-bit UltraEdit v2022.1.0.124.

Suggestion for fixing an installation issue:

I recommend to uninstall UltraEdit which results in deletion of all program files of UltraEdit, but in keeping the configuration files in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit. Please make sure to uncheck the option Deactivate license during the uninstall. Both options should be unchecked for this temporary uninstall. Next restart Windows after uninstall completed to really finish the uninstall, i.e. delete remaining files and directories using pending file rename operations of Windows.

Then download the EXE installer (recommended) or the MSI installation package of 64-bit UltraEdit and install it again.

I hope, this solves calling GNU\sort\sort.exe for the entire file with nothing selected in the file.

Suggestion for fixing a file system issue:

There could be a problem with the storage location of the file which can be sorted by selecting all lines, but fails to be sorted on simply sorting all lines in file without selection. UltraEdit creates on a selection a temporary file of which lines are sorted and next replacing the selection with deletion of temporary file. It looks like that works, but not the sort of the entire file. If the example file is stored on a local drive like drive C:, I recommend to open a command prompt window as administrator and run in this command prompt window chkdsk C: /F and confirm the prompt to check the disk C: for file system errors and fix them on next boot of Windows. Restart Windows and let the Windows check disk tool run at startup of Windows.

After restart of Windows finished, cut the file to sort at current storage location and paste it into a different directory. Next cut it from different directory and paste it into original directory. Yes, I know that this procedure does not really make sense, but it often helped in the past on a file which could not be handled correct by UltraEdit and magically solved the problem with that file forever. I recommend to delete additionally all files in the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Restore. That directory should be empty on all files closed in UltraEdit on last exit and no instance of UltraEdit is running at the moment. Now start UltraEdit, open the file and try the sort of the entire file once again.

Additional information about UltraEdit v2022.1.0.124;

I want to add the latest changes information for UltraEdit v2022.1.0.124 (released 2022-12-14):
          • Addressed issue with sort failing
          • Resolved issue with live preview and browser view
          • Addressed issue with incorrect command line switch handling
          I am not aware of what exactly were the three issues fixed in UE v2022.1.0.124 as I did not report them.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jan 10, 2023#5

Thanks Mofi.
            I have alerted our IT-department as one of my colleagues is facing the same problem. It must be something dubious with the version we installed from our portal.
            But thanks for your thorough suggestions for a solution.

MasterMaster

Jan 11, 2023#6

I have tested with your file and settings  and haven't any problem ...

UltraEdit x64 2022.1.0.124 / Windows 7 SP1 x64
              It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Jan 11, 2023#7

I'm quite sure there is something wrong with the version in my company's portal, so I have alerted our IT-desk.