Putty Plink output sometimes fails to appear in UltraEdit output window.

Putty Plink output sometimes fails to appear in UltraEdit output window.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 20, 2018#1

Recently I had to move to a new laptop which also meant I moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After that nightmare, I went ahead and updated to the latest UltraEdit (my employer has started blocking the UltraEdit update server, so I had to do a manual download). All was well, but I've noticed that quite often, UltraEdit will fire off my compile using plink, but I get no output in the output window. If I keep clicking my tool button to fire off the compile it will eventually get the output. Never had this happen in the past.. Any ideas. Not sure if it is related, but occasionally on startup of UltraEdit, I will get the crash message where it will let me save off a crash report file before it terminates. I can run UltraEdit again and it works fine.

Another point, plink is definitely running my compiler even if I get no output. I can tell because when I click again, I get an all is up to date output from my make file. Also, I can't be absolutely sure that is would never fail, but whenever I see several runs in a row with no output, I can open a command prompt and run the plink command and its arguments manually and I get output. Many times I can switch back to UltraEdit and try again and still get no output.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2018#2

In the Tool Configuration (Project Specific) -> Output screen, I checked the Show DOS box and I haven't seen the problem where I get no output window text. I'll leave that box checked and keep working and see if I see the original problem again. Assuming I don't, I wonder if Windows 10 is doing something different behind the scenes? Could it be doing away with whatever virtual console the program output gets written to before UltraEdit can grab the text?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 21, 2018#3

Yes, there have been changes on Windows console. Windows 1511 added support for Virtual Terminal Sequences.

See also What’s new in Windows Console in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and find more about changes on Windows console by searching with your favorite www search engine for "Windows 10" console new features.

Jul 15, 2018#4

UltraEdit hotfix information page contains for version 25.10.0.50 the line:
          • Addressed output window issues with user tool output
          jhanby, does this fix apply to this issue and fix it?
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 16, 2018#5

The new version appears to have resolved the problem. I cannot be positive as the previous version we had loaded would often work fine for a period of time before it started missing the "DOS" output. I'll post again if the problem reappears.

Jul 17, 2018#6

Might be a little better, hard to say. But, I am definitely seeing the same problem.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 17, 2018#7

I suggest to use free Sysinternals Process Monitor from Microsoft which requires administrator privileges to run and log the process activities of uedit64.exe and UEDOS32.exe on running the user tool. Perhaps this helps to identify what is the difference on successful capturing of output of remote compilation versus nothing captured.

It could be also helpful to use free tool Wireshark to log what is really sent back to your Windows machine from the remote machine on remote compilation.

The more I think about the issue you have the more I have the impression that the cause of no output captured and displayed by UltraEdit must be searched outside of UltraEdit like plink exits before everything received from remote compilation session is output to handles stdout or stderr at all or the remote compilation process does sometimes not output anything at all or there are packages lost due to not 100% working network (driver, switches, router, ...).

Is there a difference on not running plink directly as user tool, but run a batch file which runs plink of which output is written into an output file which is next output by the batch file using type "output file.txt". The batch file solution would be also good to find out if there is anything received from remote compilation by plink and written into the output file before plink exited.
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 17, 2018#8

If I enable Tool Configuration (Project Specific)->Output->Show DOS box then it always works.