Reformat Paragraph drops characters

Reformat Paragraph drops characters

NewbieNewbie

May 08, 2019#1

I have a plain text with five lines in a paragraph. When I use Reformat Paragraph it replaces the first character of some lines with a space. I reformat text a lot. Is there a fix or a workaround?

--- original before reformat ---

Code: Select all

Stubby Piper was small and of a jolly rotundity. But he was not as small 
    as the redoubtable little scout whose scathing denunciation he received 
    without a tremor. Stubby Piper was new in Bridgeboro and though he had a 
    scout smile he was not a scout. He was not even ashamed of not being a 
    scout.
    ---becomes---

Stubby Piper was small and of a jolly rotundity. But he was not as small 
     s the redoubtable little scout whose scathing denunciation he received 
    without a tremor. Stubby Piper was new in Bridgeboro and though he had a 
     cout smile he was not a scout. He was not even ashamed of not being a 
    scout.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 09, 2019#2

If I copy the posted paragraph before reformat into a new file with Windows-1252 encoding opened in 32-bit English UltraEdit v26.10.0.14 running on Windows 7 x64 and execute the command Reformat paragraph the result is:

Stubby Piper was small and of a jolly rotundity. But he was not as small as
      the redoubtable little scout whose scathing denunciation he received without
      a tremor. Stubby Piper was new in Bridgeboro and though he had a scout smile
      he was not a scout. He was not even ashamed of not being a scout.
      So I cannot reproduce the issue you see with obviously different settings for reformatting a paragraph. Please post more information like used version of UltraEdit running on which operating system and which character encoding is used for active file containing the paragraph and which settings are used for reformatting the paragraph.

Please note that this is a user to user forum and issues caused most likely by an error in code of UltraEdit must be reported to IDM support by email to get the issue investigated by a developer of UltraEdit and fixed finally.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 09, 2019#3

Thanks, Mofi, for trying. I  have reported it to IDM support and they have been able to reproduce the problem. It appears to happen in the Linux version only. Support has reported the bug to the developers.

My question now is how can I move forward? I've asked them if reformatting paragraphs in Linux worked in any previous version - perhaps I could use that while I wait for a developer fix. Perhaps they (or anyone) know of perhaps a macro I could use while I wait. Bottom line is that I can't wait indefinitely. This feature is squarely in the workflow for what I'm working on.

I'm glad I found the bug. I'm glad they can reproduce it. I'm glad it will be fixed. But how can I reliably reformat paragraphs (in Linux) right now? I hope there is a way.

MasterMaster

May 09, 2019#4

Wine and UE for Windows? As a temporary solution?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 09, 2019#5

An UltraEdit macro could be written to reformat a single paragraph. It would be slow as it would need to determine current position in a line in paragraph by moving the caret and checking column number.

Better would be using an UltraEdit script which could load one or more selected paragraphs or just active paragraph on nothing selected into memory, reformat there the lines and writes the reformatted lines back to file.

What happens with using command Convert CR/LFs to Wrap and next Convert Wrap to CR/LFs with appropriate column number?

My problem here is that I have neither Linux nor UEX. So I can only suggest solutions which work in UltraEdit for Windows.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 09, 2019#6

That seems to work as a workaround. Thanks Mofi.