Reformatting lines: strange characters

Reformatting lines: strange characters

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 24, 2023#1

When I set up a new paragraph formatting and try to reformat a (long) line according to this setup, the reformatted text shows strange characters inserted at the beginning of the lines.

Here is a screenshot of my setting of the reformatting options:
    UE_reform-01.png (63.53KiB)
    reformatting options

The file has only one line (3832 columns wide). After choosing "Reformat", the result looks like this:
    UE_reform-02.png (141KiB)
    reformatting result 1

Note the three strange characters inserted in each line at column 3, 5, and 8. What characters will be inserted is (somewhat) random. If I undo the reformatting and repeat it again, different characters are inserted, see the third screenshot.

What may be the reason and how can I solve this issue?

(BTW: I don't succeed in inserting text here next to the third image, hence third screenshot is at the end of my post.)

[OS: Ubuntu 20.04, UEX version 20.00.0.34]

UE_reform-03.png (134.76KiB)
    reformatting result 2

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 25, 2023#2

That looks like a bug of UEX 20.00.0.34. There should be seven spaces at the beginning of each indented line. I suggest to report this issue as posted here in the user-to-user forum by email to support of UltraEdit with attaching the three screenshots and with attaching also the text file.

I cannot reproduce such an issue with UltraEdit for Windows on using the same reformatting options on a file with also a very long line (67350 characters) stored in a UTF-8 with BOM encoded text file with DOS/Windows line endings. The paragraph reformatting works also on file being ANSI encoded with code page Windows-1252 and having Unix line endings.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 25, 2023#3

I did report this to UltraEdit technical support. They confirmed the issue and asked developers to investigate and correct it.

I am not sure whether I will get a response once it is corrected (concerning the sorting issue, see , "Sort file starting in a specific column" I never got a response). Even if I do, to myself it will probably be useless because my version of UEX is older than the current version. But hopefully others will benefit.

I will report here as soon I as I receive news about this issue.