Regex find/replace messing up diacritic characters with UltraEdit for MAC

Regex find/replace messing up diacritic characters with UltraEdit for MAC

NewbieNewbie

19:26 - Jan 23#1

I am working with a large text file, and need to insert a line break after every character in the text. Unlike other text tools I have tried, UltraEdit is able to handle the large amount of text really quickly (pretty much everything else I have tried times out).

I can use (Perl) regex to find each character using either

Code: Select all

(.)
    or

(\X)
    and replace with

$1\n
    This inserts the line breaks, but UltraEdit loses any diacritic characters in the original string, replacing them with non-character code points. So, for example, if my input string is

Union à Dieuchez Denys l'Aréopagite
    the output of the find/replace operation is 

U
    n
    i
    o
    n

�
    �

D
    i
    e
    u
    c
    h
    e
    z

D
    e
    n
    y
    s

l
    '
    A
    r
    �
    �
    o
    p
    a
    g
    i
    t
    e

The individual Unicode diacritic characters à and é are being replaced by sequences of two U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER codes.

Is there a way to prevent this? I tested short strings like this in TextMate and Sublime Text, and they didn’t mess up the diacritics like this, but they can’t handle my large text file.

MasterMaster

21:24 - Jan 23#2

Hi,

I created a new UTF-8 file (Linux EOL) and pasted your sample. Then this Perl regexp Replace All worked fine:|

F: .\K
      R: \n

Tested in UE 2023.2.0.22 64-bit for Windows

BR, Fleggy

NewbieNewbie

23:50 - Jan 23#3

Thanks. This is what I get trying that in UE 2022.0.0.19 on Mac OS (have not been prompted with an update notification for a while; will check to see what stable version is current for Mac).

U
        ni
        on
         �
        � 
        Di
        eu
        ch
        ez
         D
        en
        ys
         l
        'A
        r�
        �o
        pa
        gi
        te

Grand MasterGrand Master

6:29 - Jan 24#4

I tried the Perl regular expression replace with search expression (.) as well as (\X) and replace expression \1\n as well as $1\n with UltraEdit for Windows v2023.2.0.27 and the result was always correct. The replaces were done on ANSI encoded file with Unix 1252 (ANSI - Latin I) displayed in the status bar respectively 1252-DOS with usage of basic status bar, on UTF-8 without BOM encoded file with Unix UTF-8 displayed in the status bar respectively U8-Unix with usage of basic status bar, and on UTF-16 with BOM encoded file with Unix UTF-16 BOM displayed in the status bar respectively UB-Unix with usage of basic status bar.

It is possible that UltraEdit for MAC uses a different Perl regular expression library than UltraEdit for Windows using the Boost Perl regular expression library. (The Boost library version depends on version of UltraEdit.) I suggest in this case converting the file temporarily from UTF-8 to UTF-16, run the replace and convert the file back to UTF-8 without BOM. This could be a workaround for the issue. The issue should be reported to UltraEdit support by email on being reproducible with UTF-8 encoded file which I cannot verify myself because I don't have a MAC and don't use UltraEdit for MAC for that reason.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

17:22 - Jan 24#5

Thanks for the investigation. I will report this to UE.