Relative Paths in Project Setting Dialog

Relative Paths in Project Setting Dialog

NewbieNewbie

Apr 22, 2005#1

In UltraEdit 11.00 I don't see any way to set the the "Relative Paths" or "Relative to Project File" options when creating a project as described in the Help. Actually I don't see them in the dialog box shown in the Help either. In older versions they were there (as I have often used them).

Any ideas on what am I doing wrong or missing?

Power UserPower User

Apr 25, 2005#2

You aren't missing anything. The use of relative paths is now automatic. I had some troubles with this initially in v11.0, but so far it's working in v11.10.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 25, 2005#3

Sorry, but actually what you claim -- that it's automatic -- does not appear to be the case based on a little test case project I just tried it with. In addition, the documentation in the program's Help talks about Relative Paths and Relative to Project File as being options that must be checked to be set up. Making them optional make sense because there may be times you don't want project file paths to be relative IMHO.

Power UserPower User

Apr 26, 2005#4

The documentation is out-of-date, then. I've seen a number of doc bugs. I was told that relative paths were automatic by IDM support when I reported a bug in project handling. If you're seeing a different bug, please report it to IDM. Personally, I liked having the explicit option better.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 26, 2005#5

I contacted IDM support about the problem and after a substantial amount of back and forth communications they have come up with a solution to the problem I was seeing.

Apparently the undocumented 'automatic' relative path feature works only if you have all the files in your project closed before moving it and related files to a new location. If any are left open, you'll get invalid path errors for them when you try to reopen the project from its new location.

Along the way it was also noted that the relative paths feature only works for files explicitly added to the project, as opposed to any that are merely open in workspace (but not formally part of the project).

Given these requirements and limitations, I agree, it was better having the option explicit.

Thanks for your suggestions.