Repeated overwrite with a single character selected (fixed)

Repeated overwrite with a single character selected (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Jan 23, 2018#1

Hi. I frequently edit text by marking some words and then immediately start writing. The marked text is then automatically replaced with my new typing. It works fine - BUT, if only one character is marked, it doesn't! Instead the marked character will be replaced over and over again, and continue to be marked, so that TOO will be replaced by the next character when I type. The result is that whatever I write only the last character will stay - all the rest is gone. I have version 24.20.0.51. In earlier versions (I don't know exactly which) this was not the case.

Is there some setting to fix this?

MasterMaster

Jan 23, 2018#2

It is strange. I tried to reproduce this bug with no success - everything works flawlessly (ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-16) using UE 24.20.0.51 64-bit. Even in column mode.
      I only can recommend you to send a detailed scenario and your setting to IDM. They are very helpful.

BR, Fleggy

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 23, 2018#3

I also cannot reproduce this behavior with one exception:
        1. Column mode is currently enabled as indicated in status bar at bottom with COL (depending on version of UltraEdit).
        2. A character is selected in at least two lines, i.e. there is a rectangular selection over at least two lines (a real column selection).
        In this case the selected text is always replaced by typed character with keeping the selection independent on configuration setting for Overstrike at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor - Column mode. The main purpose of this feature is to fill a rectangular area with one character like a space.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 29, 2018#4

Thanks for the answer. Column mode is off, problem remains.

Hm, ... after a reboot I cleared the history and the problem was gone. I then open some files and worked for a while (an hour or so) and there it was again! Strange!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 11, 2018#5

I could never reproduce this issue, but it looks like the developers of UltraEdit could because hotfix information for UE v24.20.0.62 released on 2018-02-08 contains the information:
            • Addressed issue of repeated overwrite with a single character selected
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria