Run UltraCompare from Command Line on macOS

Run UltraCompare from Command Line on macOS

NewbieNewbie

Jun 19, 2020#1

Does anyone know how to run UltraCompare from the command line on macOS?

I can run it as follows but this just opens the app without comparing any files:

$ open -a UltraCompare

The following doesn't work:

$ open -a UltraCompare file1.txt file2.txt

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 19, 2020#2

I use only UltraCompare on Windows which is installed with a help containing the page Command Line Options.

Is UltraCompare for Mac installed with a documentation?

If the answer is yes, does the documentation have a page or chapter about command line options?

However, there is the UltraCompare power tip and tutorials page UltraCompare command line tips.

It lists and describes all command line options as available for UltraCompare for Windows v20.10.0.10.

So the command line should work already with option -t specified after UltraCompare before file1.txt file2.txt.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 19, 2020#3

Mofi, with your help, I was able to figure it out.

Here's how to call it from the command line:

$ open -a UltraCompare --args -t <path>/Temp1.txt <path>/Temp3.txt

The weird part was that I needed to add "--args" before the "-t" and specify the full path to both files.

Thanks!!!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 19, 2020#4

That's fine.

I recommend to run in Mac terminal window man open and read the manual for command open. The arguments -a and --args are most likely for Mac command open. Further the command open defines also the current working directory for UltraCompare on starting it which must be taken into account on running UltraCompare with file names with a relative path. The standard solution is running an application with full qualified file name(s) to always work independent on what is the current directory for the application (process).
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria