Script to loop through all open files and output their file names with path enclosed in double quotes into a new file

Script to loop through all open files and output their file names with path enclosed in double quotes into a new file

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 14, 2018#1

I have written a script to copy the full path and file name to the clipboard and put a double quote before and after it, and that works fine. I tried to extend the script to loop through all open files, quoting the file path as before, and pasting the results into a new blank document. So far, all I've accomplished is that the new blank document opens.

Unfortunately, although I am a programmer (primarily Oracle PL/SQL), I know nothing about JavaScript, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? Would it help for me to put what I have tried?

Thanks,
    Dan

MasterMaster

Feb 14, 2018#2

Something like this?

Code: Select all

var n = UltraEdit.document.length
      var files = "";
      for (i=0;i<n;i++)
      {
        files = files + '"'+UltraEdit.document[i].path + '"'+";"
      }
      files = files.substr(files,files.length-1).replace(/;/g,"\r\n");
      UltraEdit.newFile();
      UltraEdit.activeDocument.write(files);
      It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 14, 2018#3

Perfect! I hadn't considered saving all the values into one variable and then just writing it all out at once. I was trying to write each file one at a time.

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2018#4

After playing around with it a bit, I simplified and shortened it up a little. This version leaves a blank line at the end of the new file with all the file names listed, but that's good for my purposes.

var files = "";
          for (i=0; i<n; i++)
          {
            UltraEdit.document[i].setActive();
            files = files + '"'+UltraEdit.activeDocument.path + '"\n'
          }
          UltraEdit.newFile();
          Thanks again!

MasterMaster

Feb 14, 2018#5

You are welcome!

I've slightly edited script:

Line

UltraEdit.document[i].setActive();
            was removed.

Line 

files = files + '"'+UltraEdit.activeDocument.path + '"'+";"
            changed to:  

files = files + '"'+UltraEdit.document[i].path + '"'+";"

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 15, 2018#6

I incorporated those changes and made one more. I eliminated this line:

And just put the UltraEdit.document.length directly in the FOR:

for (i=0; i < UltraEdit.document.length; i++)
              So my full script now looks like this:

var files = "";
              for (i=0; i < UltraEdit.document.length; i++)
              {
                files = files + '"' + UltraEdit.document[i].path + '"\n'
              }
              UltraEdit.newFile();

MasterMaster

Feb 15, 2018#7

DGMarchant wrote:I incorporated those changes and made one more. I eliminated this line:

Hello!
                I may be wrong, but imho function call in the loop is a bad idea, because var n = UltraEdit.document.length is executing only once.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 15, 2018#8

UltraEdit.document.length is not a function call. There is no () at end. UltraEdit is an object (a class in C++) which has the property (member variable in C++) document being an array of objects. The array has the property length which is the number of items in array.

If the code would be compiled to CPU instructions, it would make a very small difference on assigning the value of length accessed via two pointers to a local variable (register) and use this local variable in the loop. But in JavaScript it most likely does not make a noticeable difference.

BTW: Create a script with just the line var_dump(UltraEdit); and run this script and look into output window.

Feb 15, 2018#9

I suggest an enhanced version of the script. Read the comments for details.

var asFileNames = [];
                    for (var nDocIndex=0; nDocIndex < UltraEdit.document.length; nDocIndex++)
                    {
                       // Is the current document window for a file with a name or at least
                       // with a file extension like .htaccess and not a new, unsaved file,
                       // or a find in files results file, or a captured command/tool ouput?
                       if ((!UltraEdit.document[nDocIndex].isName("")) || (!UltraEdit.document[nDocIndex].isExt("")))
                       {
                          // Append the name of this real file enclosed
                          // in double quotes to the array of file names.
                          asFileNames.push('"' + UltraEdit.document[nDocIndex].path + '"');
                       }
                    }
                    if (asFileNames.length)  // Contains the array of file names at least one string?
                    {
                       asFileNames.push(""); // Append an empty string to terminate also
                                             // last line witn appropriate line ending.
                       UltraEdit.newFile();  // Create a new file.
                       var sLineEnd;         // Determine line ending type of new file.
                       if (UltraEdit.activeDocument.lineTerminator < 1) sLineEnd = "\r\n";     // DOS/Windows
                       else if (UltraEdit.activeDocument.lineTerminator == 1) sLineEnd = "\n"; // Unix/Linux/Mac >= OS X
                       else sLineEnd = "\r";                                                   // Mac <= OS 9
                       UltraEdit.activeDocument.write(asFileNames.join(sLineEnd));
                    }

Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Feb 16, 2018#10

Thank you, Mofi, for clarification!