Shell integration also for Recycle Bin and Computer?

Shell integration also for Recycle Bin and Computer?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 06, 2018#1

Since shell integration for Recycle Bin (or also the "Computer" icon), as shown in the pictures below, has no meaningful utilization. I wonder what is the method to exclude those two particular items from integration.

Am I missing its usefulness?

Thanks for any help or clarification. 😉
    Clipboard02.jpg (12.55KiB)
    Clipboard01.jpg (8.91KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 06, 2018#2

I have just sent following issue report by email to IDM support because of your question:
      Mofi wrote:32-bit and 64-bit UltraEdit v25.00.0.53 and v25.00.0.58 register the shell extension also on class Folder in addition to *, i.e. adds to registry the key HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder (if not already present) with the subkeys and value:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit]
      @="{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}"
      That is problematic as the class Folder includes also the special shell folders of Windows Explorer listed in Windows registry with their GUIDs under key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions
      Those shell folders like Recycle Bin, Computer, Documents, ... either do not exist at all or are associated with real directories in file system of a partition.

I am using Total Commander for nearly any file operation and as my desktop. For that reason I have always unchecked Explorer integration in UE/UES configuration and have no icon on Windows desktop which is a completely black area. I can start quickly all applications from within Total Commander or via key assigned to shortcut files (*.lnk) in Window start menu. And of course I can open any number of files of any type in UE or UES from within TC with hitting a key. So I don't need UE/UES shell extension and I work always with real file system and not with what Windows Explorer lead the users believe exist on their storage media.

The problem with registering shell extension of UltraEdit under class Folder is that the context menu of the virtual shell folders contain also Open with UltraEdit which does not work for shell folders not associated with a real directory. Open with UltraEdit does not work on pure virtual shell folders like Recycle Bin, Computer, Libraries - Documents, Libraries - Music, Favorites - Desktop, etc. The context menu item works only for shell folders associated with a real directory in file system like Favorites - Downloads, Libraries - Documents - My Documents, Libraries - Music - My Music, ...

So I think it would be better to register the shell extension of UltraEdit under class Directory as done by UltraCompare since many versions which means for UltraEdit v25.00:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit]
      Then the menu item Open with UltraEdit is displayed only in context menu of real directories or shell folders associated with real directories, but not anymore for pure virtual shell folders.
      It is possible to change the registration of the shell extension from class Folder to Directory using following instructions:
      1. Open a command prompt window.
      2. Execute the command: reg query HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder /s
      3. Which key to delete next depends on the output of above command. Does the output look like following?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit
            (Default)    REG_SZ    {b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}
        1. Yes, then it is safe to delete key Folder with all subkeys and values using the command:
          reg delete HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder /f
        2. No, then just the UltraEdit subkey can be deleted safely with the command:
          reg delete HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit /f
      4. Finally execute the command:
        reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit /ve /d {b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000} /f
      Attention:

On opening in UltraEdit Advanced - Settings or Configuration and having at File Associations the setting Integrate with Explorer as checked, UltraEdit registers the shell extension again on the classes * and Folder on closing the configuration with button OK or on clicking on button Apply even if no setting is changed in configuration at all. That means on really moving the UltraEdit context menu handler shell extension from Folder to Directory manually using the steps above, the registry deletion command of step 3 must be executed once again.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 06, 2018#3

Wow! 😱
        Thanks a lot for the support.
        I'll wait until the developers fix the whole thing.

Thanks again. 👍

NewbieNewbie

Jun 14, 2018#4

Still no fix
          Any idea when it will be fixed?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 15, 2018#5

IDM support confirmed that registration of shell extension on Folder is not good and on Directory would be better as I reported it. But I don't know when the registration will be changed by UltraEdit and UEStudio. It looks like the priority for fixing this issue is low because I am the only one who reported this. Nothing really bad happens on having shell extension registered on Folder instead of Directory as the only negative effect is that the context menu of shell folders have a menu item which is of no use. The priority for fixing this issue can be increased by more users reporting this issue.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 18, 2018#6

Wow, thanks so much! This has been bugging me for a while now. After I made your suggested changes, I went into Advanced Settings and just unchecked "Integrate with Explorer." I don't need UltraEdit in the context menu, as I can just select "Open With" and launch UltraEdit from there. 

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 19, 2018#7

Another workaround of this issue of UE v25.00 and v25.10 is first opening in UltraEdit Advanced - Settings or Configuration - File associations, uncheck Integrate with Explorer as and close configuration with button OK.

Next create a new ASCII file and copy and paste following lines:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
                @="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\ue64ctmn.dll"
                "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
                @="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\ue32ctmn.dll"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit]
                "ContextFolderMenuText"="Open folder in UltraEdit"
                "ContextMenuText"="&UltraEdit"
                "IntegrateWithExplorer"=dword:00000000
                "IntegrateWithExplorerOverride"=dword:00000001

C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit is the standard installation path for UltraEdit x64 on Windows x64.
                For standard installation path of 32-bit UltraEdit on Windows x64 use C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit.
                For any other installation path adapt the UltraEdit program files folder accordingly.

Save the file for example as UltraEditShellExtension.reg and double click the file in Windows Explorer to import it into Windows x64 registry.

For completeness the registry import file for UEStudio v18.00:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio]
                @="{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}\InProcServer32]
                @="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UEStudio\\ues64ctmn.dll"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio]
                @="{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}\InProcServer32]
                @="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UEStudio\\uesctmn.dll"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio]
                "ContextFolderMenuText"="Open folder in UEStudio"
                "ContextMenuText"="&UEStudio"
                "IntegrateWithExplorer"=dword:00000000
                "IntegrateWithExplorerOverride"=dword:00000001

C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UEStudio is the standard installation path for UEStudio x64 on Windows x64.
                For standard installation path of 32-bit UEStudio on Windows x64 use C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UEStudio.
                For any other installation path adapt the UEStudio program files folder accordingly.

Save the file for example as UEStudioShellExtension.reg and double click the file in Windows Explorer to import it into Windows x64 registry.

The import of a *.reg file requires elevated privileges of a local administrator. The alternate solution is using a batch file with following commands which does not require elevate privileges and so can be execute by every user.

Batch file for UltraEdit shell extension registration update on Windows x64:

@echo off
                echo Update UltraEdit shell extension registration ...
                set "RegExe=%SystemRoot%\System32\reg.exe"

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit" /ve /d "{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\ue64ctmn.dll" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32" /v "ThreadingModel" /t REG_SZ /d "Apartment" /f >nul

%RegExe% QUERY "HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit" >nul 2>&1 && %RegExe% DELETE "HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit" /ve /d "{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\ue32ctmn.dll" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32" /v "ThreadingModel" /t REG_SZ /d "Apartment" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit" /v "ContextFolderMenuText" /t REG_SZ /d "Open folder in UltraEdit" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit" /v "ContextMenuText" /t REG_SZ /d "&UltraEdit" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit" /v "IntegrateWithExplorer" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit" /v "IntegrateWithExplorerOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f >nul

set "RegExe="
                pause

Batch file for UEStudio shell extension registration update on Windows x64:

@echo off
                echo Update UEStudio shell extension registration ...
                set "RegExe=%SystemRoot%\System32\reg.exe"

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio" /ve /d "{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}\InProcServer32" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\ues64ctmn.dll" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}\InProcServer32" /v "ThreadingModel" /t REG_SZ /d "Apartment" /f >nul

%RegExe% QUERY "HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio" >nul 2>&1 && %RegExe% DELETE "HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UEStudio" /ve /d "{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}\InProcServer32" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\uesctmn.dll" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{18f2a19c-9c6d-42c3-aff1-91a546ae4208}\InProcServer32" /v "ThreadingModel" /t REG_SZ /d "Apartment" /f >nul

%RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio" /v "ContextFolderMenuText" /t REG_SZ /d "Open folder in UEStudio" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio" /v "ContextMenuText" /t REG_SZ /d "&UEStudio" /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio" /v "IntegrateWithExplorer" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul
                %RegExe% ADD "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio" /v "IntegrateWithExplorerOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f >nul

set "RegExe="
                pause

For both batch files no line output between ... shell extension registration ... and press any key prompt means a successful execution of all command lines.