Show Preview File - displays garbage instead of text?!?

Show Preview File - displays garbage instead of text?!?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 16, 2010#1

Hi All,

So I've just started working with UC, trying the folder compare feature. I've noticed that if I right-click on a file and select the "Show Preview File" option, a new window opens up in the right, but it just displays a bunch of unreadable characters instead of the file contents?

Has anyone seen this? Is there a fix for it? I'm using a PC that has never had any other language/locale enabled apart from the usual English installation, so I'm at a loss at how to deal with this...

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestion how to correct this.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 18, 2010#2

You are absolutely right. I have just sent an email to IDM support about this issue. The Show Preview File is not really working in UC v7.00.0.1018.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 18, 2010#3

I have the same issue. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 31, 2011#4

This issue was fixed in UltraCompare v8.00.0.1010 for previewing an active ASCII/ANSI, UTF-8 or UTF-16 LE file in folder comparison mode.

For UTF-8 and UTF-16 LE files with BOM the byte order mark is displayed as (rectangle) character which is not optimal, but doesn't not really disturb in this case. Files with UTF-8 and UTF-16 LE without BOM are displayed fine. UTF-16 BE files are still not support and therefore the preview of such a file still looks like text garbage.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria