Small Time Stamp Differences

Small Time Stamp Differences

NewbieNewbie

Aug 10, 2022#1

Is it possible to get UC to ignore small differences in time between 2 files? I sometimes come a cross directories where one file might be time stamped 09:13:00 and it's comparable file in another directory 09:12:59. I can have hundreds of files with a 1 sec difference like this that show up as different even though they're the same.
    Capture.JPG (29.26KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 10, 2022#2

Please request by email to UltraCompare (UltraEdit) support the feature for an option to ignore a timestamp difference of one second. I have done that many years ago but no such option exists in UltraCompare v2022.20.0.26.

Total Commander always ignores a timestamp difference of one second caused by different timestamp resolutions between NTFS with a 64-bit 100 ns interval value since 1601-01-01  and FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT and archive file types like ZIP supporting only a timestamp resolution of two seconds (DOS FAT timestamp with just an even second value rounded up from an odd second value). (Note: 7-Zip creates ZIP files with using custom fields to store in the ZIP archive file also timestamps with an odd second but that is not part of official specification of ZIP archive file format.)

Total Commander has also an option to ignore a timestamp difference of exactly one hour (±1 second) to handle timestamp differences caused by daylight saving time differences. I have requested such an option/feature also years ago by email.

It looks like I was the only UltraCompare user having ever requested these two options up to now because of being the only user comparing folders between various versions of Windows and various file systems or a folder with an archive file content. I described once in this answer on Stack Overflow what can cause timestamp differences on files having in real identical last modification time. The sixth point with last modification time changes even on drives with a FAT file system for some of the files on daylight saving time change is not explainable for me. I would really like to talk to the person of Microsoft who is responsible for that change in Windows Vista to get knowledge about the reasons. I cannot find any good reason for that timestamp behavior for files on FAT drives by Windows Vista and newer Windows versions.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 11, 2022#3

Thanks Mofi. I have emailed the request to UltraEdit like you suggest and they told me they have logged it for consideration in the future.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 16, 2023#4

UltraCompare Professional v2023.00.0.30 introduces several additional folder comparison options:
          •  Folder mode enhancements
            • Added hash compare options: CRC, MD5, SHA1, SHA256
            • Added timestamp compare options: Modified, Accessed, Created
          • New ignore options:
            • File extensions
            • Daylight savings
            • Timestamp range
          That makes it possible now to ignore file timestamp differences of exactly 1 second and of exactly 1 hour by using:
          • Ignore daylight savings (exactly 1 hour) differences
          • Ignore within timestamp range: 1 seconds
          It is still not possible to get a file with a difference of exactly 3601 seconds being handled as equal, i.e. the timestamp difference is caused by daylight saving time plus NTFS versus FAT timestamp format. Please see the attached image with the set of test files.

Total Commander handles only Test File 7.txt and Test File 8.txt as different on having enabled the NTFS daylight saving correction configuration setting Ignore 1 hour time delay. Total Commander considers a 2 seconds difference as same as documented in the file history.txt (under New in version 4.00) which explains getting interpreted Test File 3.txt also as equal in the test set. A two seconds timestamp difference can be configured also in UltraCompare Professional version 2023 as ignoring timestamp range.
          folder_comparison_result_one_second_and_one_hour_ignored.png (37.09KiB)
          UltraCompare 2023 folder comparison with ignoring daylight savings and a timestamp range of one second
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria