Soft fonts and icons on 4K UHD display with UE v16.30 (solved)

Soft fonts and icons on 4K UHD display with UE v16.30 (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Nov 28, 2017#1

Hi,

I am using UE 16.30 and just upgraded to a large display. All windows are crisp and nice, except for UltraEdit where the fonts in the main window and also the menus labels and icons are soft and blurry. I am attaching a partial screenshot showing how crisp the fonts are in Sublime vs the blurry soft fonts in UE. I am using 150% magnification in Windows so it seems that UE simply blows up the fonts rather than using a larger font. This is a deal breaker. How can I fix this? 
    Thanks
    Sublime_vs_Ultraedit.jpg (150.71KiB)

Power UserPower User

Nov 28, 2017#2

I have been using a 4K display for more than 4 years. However, I use a 50in TV as my monitor and don't have to use magnification. When you select 150% magnification in Windows it does just that, magnifies. Your version of UltraEdit is old and not aware of high resolution screens. Newer versions work better but the act of magnification will still be a problem with the display of the main body. Menus and icons are not affected as much. You can perform some sharpening by moving to a font that is sans serif and not True Type but you won't get a perfectly clean image. Windows has to make some decisions when converting 1x1 pixel (100%) to 1.5x1.5 (150%) which is roughly going to result in a 2x2 square but the values of the pixels in it are calculated and the results are iffy. If you changed to 200% the result is 2x2 but all pixel values are set and known. But doing that is the same as if you had pixels that were 4x as big and reduces your apparent resolution from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080.  

NewbieNewbie

Nov 28, 2017#3

Thanks for the quick reply. So this is because my version of UltraEdit is old? The new ones perform better? I am just reluctant to dish out another 100$ for the newest version of an editor I already have ... just so it can manage the fonts. Seems way too expensive. 

I would expect that some icons may be blurry but I don't get why UltraEdit's fonts are blurry too. All other applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, and the Sublime editor) do this much better. All these windows and fonts are crisp. If you compare the text in the Sublime window (left part of my screenshot) with UltraEdit it's quite a difference. So before I pay 100$ for a new license I might abandon it altogether for Sublime ...

Nov 28, 2017#4

BTW, you were right in that I could reduce the blurriness by turning off cleartype in the advanced menu ... still no great though...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 28, 2017#5

Open View - Set Font and select a True Type or Clear Type font like Courier New or Consolas and a font size suitable for you. Don't use a bitmap font available only in a few sizes as being defined with pixels instead of vectors This font can be a proportional or a fixed-width font. Do the same for View - Set HEX/Column Mode Font which must be a fixed-width font.

Read the post Font size for the File Tabs and the List Views for additional font/font size settings for file tabs and most list views. The post contains also links to font settings for Output Window and Find String List.

Font and font size for menus, dialogs, etc. are defined by the used Windows desktop theme in UltraEdit v16.30.

Open also Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Advanced and play with the font quality setting in this configuration dialog.

The term 4K UHD did not even exist as UltraEdit v16.30 was released December 2010.

The file changes.txt in program files folder of UltraEdit contains 733 lines between v24.20 and v16.30. And this file contains just a brief summary of important bug fixes, improvements and short information about new features. In other words many things changed since release of UE v16.30.

UltraEdit is shareware. So you can use UE v24.20 for 30 days before a license must be purchased for using it after trial period expired. This means you have the possibility to backup %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit (copy to other folder, rename this folder, compress into an archive file, ...), uninstall UE v16.30, install UE v24.20 and use it with entire configuration recreated with default settings or existing configuration of UE v16.30 upgraded by UltraEdit v24.20. And when you think the new version is not worth the money, you can uninstall v24.20, reinstall v16.30, restore configuration of UE v16.30 and use again old version of UltraEdit.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 28, 2017#6

Thanks for this reply. Looks like the version is just too old for the new display.
              I do use the Consolas font (was used for the screenshot).

In Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Advanced, I moved the slider from "Clear Type" quality to "proof" or even "draft" which looks slightly better. I am attaching a new screenshot, again with a comparison to Sublime (on the left). I do not mind the icons being blurry or file dialogs, but if I am looking at code for several hours a day ... the font in the main window should be crisp.

I tried to install v24.20 but I think I had tried this new version a while back, didn't think it was worth the money to upgrade and uninstalled it again, so now I get the 30 day expiry notice right away. Oh well ...
              Thanks for your help.
              Sublime_vs_Ultraedit2.jpg (123.26KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 02, 2017#7

cfp1, JPEG is good image format for paper scans or photos, but not for screenshots because its lossy compression adds a lot of pixel noise. For the future use PNG for screenshots which uses a lossless compression and is support by all applications supporting displaying or even editing images.

It is possible with UE v16.30.0.1003 to get a sharp display of syntax highlighted text as you can see on the attached PNG image.

The computer on which I made this screenshots has only a resolution of 1200 x 800 pixels. So the font size setting in Windows display setting was 100%. I have changed also the Windows desktop theme to Windows Classic as I do always on all my computers since Windows 95. And I have additionally disabled the color fading of active and inactive title bar by setting second color to same color as first color as it can be seen on looking on title bar of UltraEdit application window. I have disabled also ClearType as I don't like ClearType at all. If you use ClearType, you should run the ClearType tuner of Windows. I have also set once in the past at Control Panel - System - Advanced system settings on tab Advanced in group Performance after clicking on button Settings the option Adjust for best performance which disables all the features producing a stylish, but in my eyes unsharp display. And last but not least the color settings for document window area and syntax highlighting have been also configured to what is best for my eyes.

Consolas is designed for ClearType. So it is perhaps not good to use this font if ClearType is disabled in Windows configuration. There are lot of TrueType monospaced fonts and some are even fixed-pitch fonts (all characters have same width in all styles, regular, bold, italic and bold+italic). I used the font Courier New more than 7 years ago as I archived UE v16.30 which I restored from the archive to make this screenshot. I think this was the default font although not liked by many people. I had never a problem with this font.

It can be seen on the screenshot that there is a color fading on menu bar (toolbar was hidden to make the screenshot smaller), file tabs bar, and status bar. This color fading could not be disabled in UE v16.30. Later UltraEdit adapted its look better on Windows desktop settings. For example in UE v22.20 on same computer the entire UltraEdit window looks crystal clear with no color fading at all. Unfortunately with UE v23.00 the library used for GUI was changed once more for ribbon interface which brought back the ClearType look Microsoft favors also for their applications even on using Windows Classic theme as it can be see on the screenshot posted by me on post Icons are blurred in Classic mode with 64-bit UltraEdit version 24 on Windows 10.

Frankly, I am tired of explaining one UltraEdit user of hundred thousands of UE users every 3 months that purchasing a computer with an UHD display with physical dimensions < 24" for non graphic work was a very bad idea as those displays require a higher DPI value which means permanent increasing of fonts, icons and graphic elements by software rendering which most application, especially the old ones are not designed for. A computer with an UHD display with physical dimensions < 24" is good for viewing high definition photos, watching HD or UHD videos, playing HD or even UHD video games and limited for graphical work. But those displays are not designed for text editing work. Unfortunately many persons think good is what marketing of hardware selling companies persuade being good (more = better) and not what the physical conditions defined by resolution of human eyes and speed of image data processing of human brains really require. As I bought last time a notebook for myself, the most important properties were a keyboard making it possible to quickly write text and navigate in text, physical dimensions of display (not too wide to be able to use it in train from/to work), not too high resolution to be able to read text good without changing recommended DPI settings, battery working time of at least 4 hours. The keyboard layout excluded 90% of all notebooks on the market, the display 9% of the remaining 10%. Most notebooks are not designed anymore for people who really work with it.
                ue_16_30_0_1003_display.png (10.16KiB)
                Screenshot of UE v16.30.0.1003 on one of my computers. I have 4 computers with varying resolutions on which the display is the same.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 03, 2017#8

I will address your points in turn:

Mofi wrote:JPEG is good image format for paper scans or photos, ...
                  Well I think the images are clear enough to show what they needed to show.

Mofi wrote:It is possible with UE v16.30.0.1003 to get a sharp display of syntax highlighted text as you can see on the attached PNG image.
                  I never disputed that. After all it was sharp on my old 1920 x 1200 display. It is just not sharp on a UHD display which is the entire point of the post.

Mofi wrote:The computer on which I made this screenshots has only a resolution of 1200 x 800 pixels. So the font size setting in Windows display setting was 100%.
                  So the example is rather irrelevant then.

Mofi wrote:I have changed also the Windows desktop theme to Windows Classic ... what is best for my eyes.
                  It sounds like you set up your entire computer for optimal UltraEdit performance. Most people will use their computer for things other than UltraEdit so may not want to do that.

Mofi wrote:Consolas is designed for ClearType...
                  I don't have ClearType disabled ... so does not seem relevant.

Mofi wrote:Frankly, I am tired of explaining one UltraEdit user of hundred thousands of UE users every 3 months that purchasing a computer with an UHD display with physical dimensions < 24" for non graphic work was a very bad idea as those displays require a higher DPI value which means permanent increasing of fonts, icons and graphic elements by software rendering which most application, especially the old ones are not designed for.
                  While I thank you for responding, I certainly do not appreciate your condescending tone. It may come as a surprise to you that people do use their monitors for a VARIETY of things, and UltraEdit is just one of those things. As I said, with the Sublime Text editor, the fonts are crisp and nice and working on this big monitor is now much better for my eyes than with my old 24'' screen. So your argument is not only misleading but plain wrong.

It seems to me that you are only trying to distract from the fact that UEv16 is simply too old to be nicely rendered on a large screen. And I am OK with it. As you said, it is an old application that was designed before people even knew what UHD was, fair enough. But then let's not place the blame on people who buy big screens shall we.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 03, 2017#9

Well, after looking once more on your JPEG screenshot zoomed in to see how each character is rendered although this is difficult because of the lossy compression, it looks like Sublime as well as UltraEdit v16.30 display the text identical. This comparison is difficult as the text in Sublime window is different to text in UltraEdit window. And additionally in Sublime a dark theme is used while in UltraEdit a light time is used for file window area. The font and font size should be the same according to what you wrote before and I could see on comparing the pixels of the characters. The text and color differences make an easy comparison of the two text windows pixel by pixel not really possible.

I think what you need to do to get a satisfactory display of files in document window area also with UltraEdit v16.30 on your UHD screen is adjusting the editor colors at View - Set Colors to a dark theme and the syntax highlighting colors at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting for each used language to fit with the general editor colors.

I really think the light theme in UltraEdit is the main reason why you are not happy with the text display in UltraEdit on your UHD screen.

Sorry, but I don't have any UHD screen for testing. So I posted what I have configured giving you some hints. And I have my computers always configured for best performance for any application which means a spartan look which is good also for my brain. The image processing is done faster also by my brain if the windows don't have any style features not really needed to display the information I really need to process. I'm a programmer mainly for embedded controllers on which every microsecond counts. So I want always best performance with avoiding useless code executions and that is definitely the reason for optimizing also Windows PCs for best performance independent on used hardware.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 10, 2017#10

I found the solution while trying to solve it for another executable:

- right click on the UE executable and select properties
                      - go to "Compatibility" and select "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" (see screenshot)
                      - then in UltraEdit simply choose a larger font size(I chose Consolas 13) and that's it.

The icons will of course remain small but the important thing for most people will be that the text in the main window no longer appears soft but crisp and has the right size.
                      screenshot.jpg (229.57KiB)