Speech recognition

Speech recognition

NewbieNewbie

Jul 12, 2014#1

Hi, a newbie here, but long time user of UltraEdit. I have limited use of my hands and typing long sentences/paragraphs is a chore. I use Windows 7 and MS Office 2010. I use Speech Recognition a lot BUT UE seems to be incompatible. When I speak lines no automatic typing occurs. Any help would be appreciated.

Power UserPower User

Jul 14, 2014#2

My daughter is handicapped and uses Dragon Speaking Naturally for text dictation. My guess is that you use something similar. If so, then you either need to use a speech to text enabled text editor, or contact IDM support to see what needs to be done to enable speech recognition in UltraEdit as it appears to not support that kind of a feature now.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 19, 2017#3

I have been using Dragon Naturally Speaking since 2009 (v10-v11 Professional through 12.5 Home) with UltraEdit as a Notepad replacement with no problem, until now. Up through UltraEdit v21.20 everything was fine. I just upgraded to UltraEdit v24 and find both 32-bit and 64-bit versions to be unusable. The problem is that the cursor is not managed properly so that every pause in speech relocates the cursor to some nearly random location resulting in terribly garbled text. I was about to contact IDM support when I found this thread from three years ago.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 27, 2017#4

I am experiencing the same problem, did you find any solution?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 27, 2017#5

No solution yet. IDM support recognizes logs showing that other users have reported similar issues. Nuance does not offer a free trial of Dragon Naturally Speaking so IDM does not test against it. I am still using UltraEdit v21.20, have confirmed that v24.20 is incompatible, and await the release of v25.00 to see if anything has changed.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 27, 2017#6

I just got a response from IDM. They are aware of this problem, but have no plans to resolve it at this point. Very disappointing.

By the way I am using version 23.20 with no problem.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 27, 2017#7

Yes, very disappointing.  

I have been using UltraEdit since 1996. Long before version 21 its capabilities had vastly exceeded my needs, since I no longer write serious code and use UltraEdit only as a text editor. When v22.20 introduced 64-bit support, I was tempted to upgrade, but didn't get around to it until v24.20. When v24.20 failed as per this discussion, I requested and received a refund.

Based on your remark that v23.20 works with DNS, I may contact IDM to see if they'll allow me to access a copy of v23.20 if I purchase an update to version 24.