Terminal Server Install

Terminal Server Install

Jan 12, 2006#1

Hi All,

I am new to the UltraEdit world, but as a Citrix Administrator, I have been tasked with installing UltraEdit v11.00B+ into our Terminal Server environment. From poking around, it looks to me that the preferences and settings are unique to each user as the various config files are located in the users profile directory. However, I want to be sure that there arent some other settings in another location that I am not aware of. Also, when first run, you are prompted to select file associations for UltraEdit. If you make these selections, where is this information stored? Is it also unique to the user or will it be applied globally? The issue there would be that if it is applied globally, users wont be able to make that happen as they are not admins on the server. Another couple of things I am wondering about are the language file and spell directory locations listed in the uedit32.ini. Would the users need to update any of the contents of these files, ie to add a word to the spell check? Could these files be re-located to a folder unique to the user, such as a home drive, and would that be a completely manual process or an automated one?

So if anyone can help with this and/or provide tips on how to install in a terminal server environment, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 12, 2006#2

At How to transfer configuration settings to a new PC you can see, what files contains settings and where they are stored. They can be also all in the UltraEdit directory or any other directory when environment variable UEINIDIR is set accordingly if you do not want or need user specific settings. But it is also possible to have all settings in the user profile directory so each user can also have it's own syntax highlighting wordfile, for example. Only the uedit32.* files are searched by UltraEdit at start. The directories and names of all other configuration files (including spell settings) are stored in the INI file and can be set everywhere. But I have never tried if environment variables can be use for these settings.

The file associations are stored in the registry and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Classes) like all other file associations on Windows OS. So they are identical for all users. You can avoid this prompt for selecting the file associations, if the major version of the INI file is identical to the main version of UltraEdit and the check associations setting is set to off.

[Settings]
      Version=V11.00
      CheckAssociations=0

If this settings are present in the uedit32.ini before first start of UltraEdit v11.00 - v11.20a the user will not see the file associations dialog.

A few settings (auto update, ...) are stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 10, 2006#3

Hi Mofi,
        we have a similar problem: We want to distribute UE onto a few hundred Windows workstations. Most of the users don't have permission to write into the installation directory or the registry.
        It's really useful and appreciated that they can have their own .ini files in their profile.

But: We don't want them to be asked, if UE should check for updates on the first start up of the application. We would also prefer not to display the advertisement webpage then as well.
        As I understand, you cannot switch that off in the system-Registry - It's a setting in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Is there a way around this?

Cheers from Munich,
        Biggeh

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 11, 2006#4

Hi Biggeh,

should be no problem. I'm sure every user has the permission to write into HKEY_CURRENT_USER, even restricted users have this permission.

So all you have to do is to add some registry keys during UE install process or later during network login or windows start. This can be easily done by copying the green highlighted lines at end of this post into a file named for example UE_NoUpdateAndAds.reg and run regedit in silent mode with this reg-file to import the settings to the registry of the current user. The command line for regedit is:

regedit /s "path to the file\UE_NoUpdateAndAds.reg"

Write this command into a batch file and place the batch file into the startup folder (Autostart for German Windows) in the start menu (Startmenü) in the current and/or the default user profile. Then the batch file is executed by Windows during startup for the current user. The batch file in the startup directory in the default user profile is copied to the current user profile if a new user is created on the PC. This batch file must be only executed once so it should delete itself during execution which can be easily done with the command

del "name of your batch file without path" >nul

as last (second) line of the batch file.

Alternatively the regedit execution can be done also in the network login batch file or you can write this command into a string value at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit]
          "Display Ad"=dword:00000001
          "Last Update Check"=dword:43edfbf0
          "Query User For Updates"=dword:00000000

The value of Last Update Check is not important. It is the number of seconds since 1.1.1970 00:00:00. In my example it is for 11.02.2006 15:00:00.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria