"Type Mismatch" on SSH

"Type Mismatch" on SSH

NewbieNewbie

May 10, 2023#1

When I use my private key that works everywhere else in UEStudio or UltraEdit, I get a "Type Mismatch" error.  What does this mean?  How do I fix it?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 11, 2023#2

We cannot help you with that poor problem description. There is either something configured wrong in the account settings for the server to which an SSH connection should be established or the version of wod*.dll files installed with UE/UES and used by UE/UES to connect with SSH to a server/device do not support something causing this error returned definitely from a function of the wod*.dll to UE/UES or there is a bug in the used version of UE/UES.

I recommend to make use of support of UltraEdit by contacting them with an email which a problem description (a bit more than posted here) with having attached the file created on using Backup/restore user customizations, the private key file, the version of used UE/UES as it can be selected and copied from the About window. The device to connect to with SSH must be accessible via the Internet as otherwise the UltraEdit support cannot try the SSH connection to the device and find out what is the reason for the error if you are using already the currently latest version of UE/UES and not a several years old version which means also a several years old version of the wod*.dll files.

May 11, 2023#3

Do you know that this is a public user-to-user forum, not a support forum of UltraEdit, Inc.? It is clear for me – just a user of UE/UES like you – that you do not want to share the private key with the world wide web or other private account data.

Please read what you wrote in your first post and then think about how would you tell another user with that information what could be the problem. We know nothing than the short error message. You have not posted the version of UltraEdit/UEStudio and kind and version of operating system. Well, UEStudio is available only for Windows. We can exclude therefore Linux and Mac. We don't know anything you configured in the SSH/Telnet Account Manager dialog window on the tabs General, Proxy and Authentication,.(Advanced and Terminal are not important for connection establishment.)

There is a public wodTelnetDLX error list available which does not contain the string "Type mismatch". The wodTelnetDLX ActiveX Component is used by UE/UES on Windows in various versions depending on installed version of UE/UES. UltraEdit for Windows v2023.0.0.41 and UEStudio v2023.0.0.41 are installed with version 2. 5. 9.186 of wodTelnetDLX.

I cannot find the string type mismatch in any of the files which I created myself with information published public by UltraEdit, Inc. in the last 20 years about fixes in beta versions (I am a beta tester) and public released hotfix versions.

There is one similar forum topic SSH Type Mismatch error when connecting with private key. There was written by the forum member lmiller that the support of UltraEdit, Inc. replied on the issue email that this is a known (for support of UltraEdit, Inc.) problem of UE v2022.2.0.52 and provided lmiller a link to download older version 2022.1.0.124 which does not have this issue.

You use perhaps also v2022.2.0.52 or another version 2022.2.0.*. The solution could be therefore the usage of older version 2022.1.0.124 or the upgrade to v2023.0.0.41 if the purchased license permits it. The list of changes published by UltraEdit, Inc. about this version contains following information:
        • FTP: Parsing certain large directories is very slow
        • FTP: Issue loading PPK v3 keys
        • FTP: Files opened in wrong tab group when using tiled windows mode
        • FTP: Extra line added to files opened using ASCII transfer mode
        • FTP: Rename Folder navigates into folder instead of renaming with Show Current Directory Only enabled
        • FTP: F5 triggers Capitalize command in active file when focus is in FTP pane
        It could be that the red formatted fix is the cause of the type mismatch error message, but I really don't know that as I have also only the information posted here and not more as support of UltraEdit, Inc. I am quite sure that this bug in UltraEdit v2022.2.0.* affects SFTP and SSH connections using key files.

The changes list of UE v2022.2 contains the information:
        • FTP/FTPS/SFTP is updated to the latest encryption, hashing, and protocol standards including full TLS 1.3 support
        • Telnet/SSH is updated to the latest encryption, hashing and protocol standards
        I suppose that in code of UE/UES needed something updated/corrected after updating to the newer wod*.dll files on putting both public published information together. But if all that information is relevant for you or not depends on version of UE/UES used by you which you have not written in your post.

That is all information I could collect together for you from various public available resources. I hope that something is useful for the issue you have with establishing an SSH connection using a pair of key files. Otherwise please contact UltraEdit, Inc. support by email or using the form on the technical support page.

PS: It could help to create the key pair using a different method if the issue is really the usage of UE/UES v2022.2.0.* with PPK v3 key files.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria