UE from command line does not display file passed as argument (fixed)

UE from command line does not display file passed as argument (fixed)

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 14, 2020#1

When starting UE from command line and passing a file as argument, UE opens and loads that file, also highlights the title of the window (file name), but the current window displayed is that of another, previously loaded file. The window of the file displayed and active (i.e. accepting keyboard inputs) is not highlighted. 

Illustration with a simple example:
    • 3 files are open from a previous session (aaa.txt, bbb.txt, ccc.txt). 
    • UE is invoked with 4alias.nt as a parameter.
    • when opened, bbb.txt is the active window (even though as per the file tabs it should be 4alias.nt)
    screenshot.jpg (67.53KiB)

I can't say when this behavior started, but I am sure this was not like this in the past.
    (It's not that the command prompt is my home, but the same happens when invoking UE from programs like File Commander.)

Has somebody noticed this as well? Any suggestions?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 14, 2020#2

Which version of UltraEdit do you use?

The currently latest version for Windows is 27.10.0.148.

What is configured at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - File handling - Session options?

What is configured at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Application layout - Miscellaneous for:
      • Files selected in Explorer will open in a new single instance
      • Allow multiple instances
        • Maintain separate process for each file opened from external application
      What did you type on Windows command line to start UltraEdit and open file 4alias.nt?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 14, 2020#3

Thanks for picking up the ball, Mofi.

I'm using the most recent version for Windows (27.10.0.148).
        See attached screenshots for the settings you've asked for.
        This is the command line call:

Code: Select all

C:\Bat>"C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\uedit64.exe" 4alias.nt
        screenshot1.jpg (44.68KiB)
        screenshot2.jpg (39.19KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 14, 2020#4

Thanks for the additional information regarding to used version of UltraEdit and the configuration settings.

I could reproduce the issue with 32-bit UltraEdit v27.10.0.148 with your configuration and having opened the same files as you on exit with active file being the file bbb.txt on exit. UltraEdit restores the workspace on next start with this configuration and so the file bbb.txt is the active file after restart as on last exit although file 4alias.nt is opened additionally according to the command line argument.

The issue is that the file tab of file 4alias.nt indicates that this file is the active file while in real file bbb.txt is the active file with having checked Dockable tabs at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Application layout - File tabs - Operation.

This file tab issue does not occur with having unchecked this setting in the configuration dialog or via file tabs context menu File tabs - Dockable which is the default configuration. Further, it does not occur if the file 4alias.nt is specified on command line with full path.

This is a bug in my opinion with enabled Dockable tabs which I report by email to IDM support.

Nov 15, 2020#5

KarstenG, I want to let you know an important fact on this issue detected by me on writing the issue report for IDM support. The issue does not occur with file name specified with full path on command line. In this case the file specified on command line is always really the active file after start of UltraEdit, reopening the three files open on last exit and the fourth file specified on command line. I added this fact about the different behavior on file being specified on command line without or with path also to my previous post. I don't know why UltraEdit acts different depending on file specified on command line without or with path.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 15, 2020#6

@Mofi   

Many thanks for this hint! 
              Indeed, using the full path name  seems to make a difference. I have changed the external editor string in my "commander" application accordingly; let's see if this entirely removed the issue.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 05, 2020#7

This issue is fixed with UltraEdit for Windows v27.10.0.164 and UEStudio v20.10.0.58.