NewbieNewbie

Dec 21, 2010#16

I tried to figure out if there is something that consumes computing power while typing (e.g. syntax highlighting or auto corrections). so I turned off syntax highlighting and did the following basic test.

I hammered on my keyboard to generate lost of input and UEM goes up to 40% CPU. The line takes about 2sec to finish printing the characters after I stopped.
    I did the same with TextWrangler and I also see 40% but without performance issues.

I also contacted Support on Dec. 18th and haven't got an answer yet. Resubmitted the issue again today and told them about the activity in the form. We'll see...

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 21, 2010#17

I will go you all one better...

With default of SYSTEM CLIPBOARD...... NOTHING HAPPENS..... CUT works.... PASTE does NOTHING ... and I have notified IDM... so far their reponse has been that they can't yet duplicate the issue
      If I choose USER CLIPBOARD , everything works as expected...... I cut/pasted 23,520 lines of 123 chars with no issue

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 22, 2010#18

I tried to stop all background tasks and software running in the background. I also tried to change different settings in the OS, but it didn't make any difference so not sure what is causing this problem on my Mac for this application only.

gann

NewbieNewbie

Dec 23, 2010#19

The slow rendering and cursor movement was one of the first things I noticed when I installed UEM. I'm running a 15" MBP (MacBookPro5,3). I'm hoping this is resolved soon since I already purchased my license.

NewbieNewbie

No feedback from IDM

Dec 23, 2010#20

Did anybody hear from IDM support? I don't get any feedback, not even a standard confirmation. Very disappointing...

Dec 23, 2010#21

Would someone be willing to try the following to see if they have the same issue?

Open a new file. Type 123 characters on the first line and hit enter.

Do the following until you have 8,192 lines in the file:
              Command+A Command+C Command+V Command+V

Once you have all those lines, try doing Command+A then Delete then Command+V.

What I am consistently getting is that the Command+V will paste the first 7,317 lines. Line 7,318 will only have 10 characters. I can use the cursor keys to move through lines in the buffer. I will not see the remaining lines in the display until I use the mouse to scroll past that last line.
              yep, precisely the same behaviour

Model Name: MacBook Pro
              Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
              Processor Name: Intel Core i7
              Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
              Number Of Processors: 1
              Total Number Of Cores: 2
              L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
              L3 Cache: 4 MB
              Memory: 4 GB
              Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

OS X 10.6.5

Dec 23, 2010#22

DaveS wrote:What Mac? Which OS? etc?

I have been using this since Beta III and have no such problems on both a MacPro Tower and 13" MBP both with SnowLeopard
                I've had this problem since beta with a Mac Pro (tower) and a MBP using SnowLeopard. Both are a few years old (the MBP is one where you can eject the battery). The lag affects everything related to the edit window--mouse input to select text, scrolling up/down, typing, etc. With the help of others at work I could test this on pretty much any Mac hardware if it would help.

MasterMaster

Re: No feedback from IDM

Dec 23, 2010#23

spidermike wrote:Did anybody hear from IDM support? I don't get any feedback, not even a standard confirmation. Very disappointing...
                  I, too, have noticed that it is taking longer than usual for IDM to respond to email communications. Things are quite hectic at IDM right now as they wrap things up for the holidays. I am sure that the timeliness of their responses will pick up again in the new year.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 23, 2010#24

I have the same issue with the slow display of characters at two of my three checked macs.
                    MacPro (MacPro1.1) and MacBook Pro (MacMBook Pro 1.1 (CoreDuo)) shows the slowness during the display.

But my MacBook MacBook 3.1 do not show this issue. It is interesting that at the MacBook and the MacPro the nearly the same software is installed.
                    I informed IDM about this issue and got a response that they are working on this issue after I discovered this at my MacPro.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 23, 2010#25

robin.mousley wrote:yep, precisely the same behaviour
                      UEM 2.0.0.2 fixed that issue for me.

Dec 23, 2010#26

DaveS wrote:With default of SYSTEM CLIPBOARD...... NOTHING HAPPENS..... CUT works.... PASTE does NOTHING ... and I have notified IDM... so far their reponse has been that they can't yet duplicate the issue
                        If I choose USER CLIPBOARD , everything works as expected...... I cut/pasted 23,520 lines of 123 chars with no issue
                        DaveS, I reported the same problem with 2.0.0.0. It happened to me after install and I haven't been able to duplicate it since, either.

Mike

Site AdminSite Admin

Dec 27, 2010#27

Hello Everyone,

We have had reports of slowness or latency on some systems and are working those issue reports with the users that reported them. If you are experiencing any problems with UE Mac, please email us at [email protected] so we can work directly with you to reproduce the problem and resolve the issue.

We are planning an update as early as next week and again in February to clean up any unresolved issues. UE Mac users can expect frequent updates throughout 2011 that will target performance and feature depth in an effort to mature and polish the app.

We certainly understand your frustration when it comes to performance of your primary editor and you can be assured that we will address any performance-related issue as a top priority.

Thanks,

The IDM Team

Jan 06, 2011#28

I have the slowness problem with my MacPro and an older MacBook Pro. Strangely, I just got a new MacBook Pro and used Migration Assistant to clone my old one and it doesn't have the performance problems. From a software perspective the two laptops should be identical, so I'm not entirely sure why one is slow and the other isn't. It shouldn't be a matter of having a faster CPU or anything like that, since this is just an editor window we're talking about.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 06, 2011#29

Well I guess the main issue is wxWidgets, don't you think?

NewbieNewbie

Jan 08, 2011#30

I can confirm that keyboard input is slow.

UE/Mac 2.0.0.2

Mac:
                                Model Name: Mac Pro
                                Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
                                Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                                Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
                                Number Of Processors: 2
                                Total Number Of Cores: 8
                                L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
                                L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
                                Memory: 12 GB
                                Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

free disk: 1/2 TB

Symptom: in new (empty) file, rapidly type random characters (at least 40 or so). Then remove hands
                                from keyboard. Text continues to appear for about 1/2 to one second later.

Does not happen with Apple's bundled TextEdit

Does not happen with Windows UltraEdit on same machine (running under VMWare Fusion).

Read more posts (8 remaining)