UltraCompare Backup Settings

UltraCompare Backup Settings

Nov 06, 2023#1

Hello all,

I have customized my UC ribbon quite a bit, is there a Backup Settings option like there is in UE so we don't have to create ribbon / UI screenshots and manually recreate the customizations after a system reload?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 07, 2023#2

There is no such feature in currently latest public released UltraCompare v2023.0.0.40 on having Cloud Services not enabled.

The Windows registry contains just a few settings on a not checked configuration setting Use registry for settings (not INI file) at Home - Settings (ribbon mode) or Options - Configuration (toolbar/menu mode) - Application Layout - Advanced. These settings can be backed up by running the following command line in a Windows Command Prompt window.

Code: Select all

reg EXPORT "HKCU\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare Pro" "%APPDATA%\IDMCOMP\UltraCompare\UC_Registry.reg"
      A restore is later possible by running in a Windows Command Prompt window:

Code: Select all

reg IMPORT "%APPDATA%\IDMCOMP\UltraCompare\UC_Registry.reg"
      Most settings and nearly all user customizations are stored in files in the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare and its subdirectories.

There can be made a backup of the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare by copying this directory to a different storage media or compress this directory into an archive file and copy the archive file to a different storage media. That saves most of the settings including the ribbon customization and all settings if the registry export was made before as suggested above.

If the option Share FTP accounts is checked in Configuration under FTP and there are configured FTP/FTPS/SFTP accounts, there must be additionally made a backup of the directory: %APPDATA%\IDMComp\Common\FTP Accounts

Other directories and/or files might be saved as well depending on configuration, for example if Store FTP accounts and settings in user selected file is used for storing the FTP/FTPS/SFTP accounts.

The Cloud Services feature makes it possible to save all settings in the cloud of UltraEdit, Inc. There is locally created a *.uec file with the settings on using the Cloud Services feature and sync the settings to the cloud. The Home - Settings (ribbon mode) or Options - Configuration (toolbar/menu mode) - Cloud Services dialog window has the button Restore from local backup for selecting a *.uec file to restore the settings.

I don't know why there is no Backup / restore user customization feature for usage without the Cloud Services feature although the code for backup and restore all settings in a *.uec file is obviously already present in UltraCompare. I suggest requesting such an enhancement with an email to UltraEdit support for a future version of UltraCompare.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria