Basic UserBasic User

Apr 12, 2007#16

mine got larger with that command than yours 1.55 mb,

not to mention that I 'lost' the icon,

could you post what command did you use?

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 12, 2007#17

I used UPXShell (http://upxshell.sourceforge.net) to compress it.
      I do not use the UPX command line tool any more, because UPXShell can integrate itself into the Explorer context menu.
      For compression I used the options "compression: best", "Icons: don't compress" and "UPX 2.03".
      Does it work now?

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 13, 2007#18

yes!

worked gracefully! looks like a great tool!

thank you very much mik!

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#19

The latest 13.0 was pretty good with regard to startup speed. Then, I made the mistake of updating to 13.10. Now, I'm back to 6- or 7-second startup times.

I'm not going to waste my time UPX packing the executable.

None of the other tricks suggested previously have worked.

I am so, so, SO tired of this problem.

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#20

Hi,

the last few UE 13.00 versions/hotfixes of UE were UPX-packed by the developers. Now because of the implemented certificate info in UE 13.10, the .exe cannot be UPX packed any more. I do not have a startup time problem here at the moment, sorry.

Greetings,
            Stefan

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#21

I DID pack the 13.10 exe with success!

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#22

Oh, you are right... by using
                UPX 2.92b in UPX-Shell, it works :-)

Thx.

Greetings,
                Stefan

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#23

I used 2.90

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#24

@Everyone:

Maybe it helps examining the UE startup process with a special tool called : Process Monitor (procmon.exe) .

You can get it from Windows Sysinternals.

Greetings,
                    Stefan

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#25

Thank you, but I tried diagnosing the slow startup with Process Monitor before. It happened to be a waste of time. Maybe useful info was there, but it was so buried and so obscure that I couldn't decipher it.

Until I'm on the IDM payroll, I'll either revert to an old version (again!), or switch to another editor for the time being.

There's no way I'm the only one for whom this problem returned.

Edit: I downloaded UPX 3.0 and ran upx --ultra-brute uedit32.exe. It took quite a long time, and got uedit32.exe down to 1.6 MB. The startup time is barely any better though.

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2007#26

@Everyone:

Last Chance:
                        Kill ALL processes you can kill (Virusscanner and so on, maybe deactivate some services), then remove the uedit32.ini, but make safe copies of %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit and your Installation-Folder of UE before.

Start UE...
                        If you still see not improvement of startup-time
                        I don't know what to do here (maybe try another computer)...

Greetings,
                        Stefan

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 18, 2007#27

My uedit32.ini has only one line--the one that forces settings to be saved in the registry.

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 18, 2007#28

Oh, that's interesting.
                            Maybe it helps, if you change this setting.

Sep 04, 2007#29

Have been using v9 for ages, and that launched really fast. Liked the interfave and upgraded to 13.10. That was a mistake!

New versions/patches all take ages to launch (~5s), that's unacceptable. I've searched the forum for solutions and nothing helps. Can't be cause of slow machine (E6600+raid for OS), as the same issue is on multiple computers (four I've tried so far). Sad to see so many good programs go bloated these days.

NewbieNewbie

Performance Issue on Startup

Sep 09, 2007#30

There is definitely a performance issue on startup with UltraEdit v13.10a+1. I am a long time user and always liked the editor as it had nice functionality and was very responsive. I recently got a new high end notebook from DELL (XPS M1710, Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS (256MB) GPU, Windows XP Pro) so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of UE.

I launch UE via the recently used programs from the START button. After I click the icon the entire START menu sticks around for 2 or 3 seconds (it should disappear immediately - that is a BIG clue that something is very wrong in the performance department), then the computer grinds away for another 2 or 3 seconds and finally UE opens up. Now granted from launch to usability we are only talking about 5 or 6 seconds. However my notebook brings up Microsoft Word almost instantly (perhaps 1 second) without any freezing up of the START menu.

UE should certainly be MORE efficient than a bulky word processor like Microsoft Word. This is simply unacceptable performance for a text editor.

Read more posts (22 remaining)