NewbieNewbie

Jul 24, 2007#106

Dear Travis,

No - I did not write notes during my search.

What I thought gave jedit the edge over other editors in the Linux environment was its extensive plugin library - it is more extendable, and easily so, than any other editor that I have used.

Personally, I liked nedit, but it does not have enough features. I liked gedit too, but what gives jedit the edge is the large number of plugins that exist for it, the fact that it is very configurable, and that it runs and looks identical on the usual platforms. I have it running on my Ubuntu Linux desktop, my Win2K laptop, and a MacBookPro running Mac OS 10.4. In fact - it looks really nice running on the Mac with semi-transparent pull-down menus:)

It took me a few minutes to get it running under Ubuntu, as it could not find the Jave Runtime Environment until I set JAVA_HOME correctly - which I guess does not get set in Ubuntu automatically - weird. On Windows and Mac OS - it hit the ground running after being installed.

It is a remarkable Java application, and is not the memory hog, nor a cpu hog that Java apps have been known for in the past. My Ubuntu platform is fast, and jedit is very quick, and running much faster than the Ajunta environment on it!

I am going to go back and give Eclipse another shot however.

-Ron

Jul 24, 2007#107

Oops - I should say the jedit won't run under Windows of course if Java is not installed. That was easy to do however, after a quick stop at the SUN website to download/install the latest version.

-Ron

NewbieNewbie

Aug 16, 2007#108

Another voice saying that I would be willing to buy a Linux version.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 17, 2007#109

Here is another voice. Linux, Linux, Linux...

NewbieNewbie

Sep 14, 2007#110

Count my vote. I will gladly purchase another license of UE if a Linux version is made available. Just make sure it runs on Fedora Core Linux or MacIntosh and I will be a happy customer. I currently use UE to SSH into my Linux boxes and edit files but it would be nice to have a version of UE natively available. I remember waiting and waiting for a good CDROM burning software package to become available for Linux and then Nero released a version for Linux called "Nero Linux". I gladly purchased it and now I am one step closer to getting rid of MS Windows.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 15, 2007#111

All for a linux port! Willing to pay (hint, hint, hint)!
              (:

NewbieNewbie

Sep 19, 2007#112

Add My Vote!

I'm programming in Python now, and my entire environment is really Linux. The only reasons I'm running XP now are MSOffice and UE. I don't use Office that much, so I could get by with running an XP VMWare VM under a native Ubuntu, instead of vice versa.

My company would gladly pay for new licenses for UE if it ran natively under Linux (Ubuntu preferred!) and I'm sure it would instantly become the best editor available on the platform. No other editor gets close, with the possible exception of the Eclipse one. So, if you integrate with Eclipse... You'd have LOTS of sales.

Thanks for the great work!
                -- Kevin J. Rice

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 04, 2007#113

please add a linux version!!!

Thank you.

Oct 05, 2007#114

here is another vote for UE on Linux!

NewbieNewbie

Oct 21, 2007#115

You have my vote too.

But ithink it will never append :/

NewbieNewbie

Nov 13, 2007#116

I'm voting and hoping for native IDM tools on Linux (Ubuntu) too!

I am amused by previous postings this thread which attempt to justify "the port will never happen" view by comparing relative market shares between Windows and Linux (or MacOS). Done as relative numbers (99.9% Windoze vs. <1% other), it makes an almost persuasive argument.

However, look at things in absolute numbers:

a) Just how many Linux installations are there? ...And how fast is this number growing?

b) How many developers (the base of UE users) are moving to a Linux platform?

c) And just how many of that "99.9%" of Windoze users ever have use for a full-scale professional text editor?

Regarding c), I'm willing to bet that approx. 98.5% of that "99.9%" of Windoze folks will never edit a text file in their entire lives -- and wouldn't know why they'd need to if they did -- and therefore are not a part of IDM's target marketplace, regardless of how "penetrated" the MS community ever becomes.

Realize that, as Windoze continues to be tuned for (dumbed down) the "home entertainment center" marketplace (viz. Vista! ...who'd ever want to install that OS into a business or development environment?!!!), there's a trend towards an ever-lessening number of developers working in/on that platform (even if they're targeting their own products towards it).

Discounting them (even if it's a much smaller percentage of that percentage), it becomes debatable which of the two camps is bigger, and therefore represents a profitable market segment for IDM. I'd wager that, as more and more serious developers and others who need and appreciate professional tools such as UE, UC, US (etc.) continues to migrate to Linux platforms, that this is the (or at least one of the) target market that IDM should (re)focus its resources and efforts on!

Yes for UE and friends on Linux!

NewbieNewbie

Nov 27, 2007#117

I would happily buy UltraEdit for Linux. It's the tool I probably miss most there.

-PL-

Re: PHP taglist

Dec 08, 2007#118

Could anyone tell me if Ultraedit will be available under Linux any time in the next 12 months or so? I'm about to take the plunge and overwrite my last Windows box (which I really only use for UltraEdit anyway) and move to an all-Linux environment. Failing UltraEdit being available, can anyone recommend a good linux editor that approaches (although, obviously, will never reach) the excellent UltraEdit?

PB

Site AdminSite Admin

Dec 12, 2007#119

Hi Everyone,

We just wanted to give everyone interested in this thread a little insight into our efforts towards porting UE to LINUX/Mac.

Along with ongoing development of our products over the last year we have indeed been working on a Linux version of UltraEdit we call UEx. That's right...it does exist and we are very pleased with our progress to date!

As DaveS indicated, this is not a trivial process but we do have the in-house resources to accomplish this. Furthermore, we are also adding additional resources to those already being applied to this task.

We expect to have a Linux version of UltraEdit ready for market late in 2008 (Q3 -Q4). We want to assure you, our customers, that we have heard your requests and we are working hard to provide the Linux/Mac version of UltraEdit you all want so much to see.

Best wishes,

Ian and team

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 12, 2007#120

Good to hear.

I am curious about the pricing plan for the Linux version. I suspect that most of the UE-Linux users will be [former or current] UE-Windows users. Many of us will continue to use Windows and Linux for a while, sometimes on the same machine (via multi-boot).

Would the same license keys work on both Windows and Linux versions? If not, would there be a discount for Windows users trying to migrate to Linux?

Read more posts (31 remaining)