Basic UserBasic User

Dec 14, 2007#121

that's great news penntap :)

I also just can add myself to Tripecac's question. Using UE since many years, I purchased a lifetime upgrade licence, will the be portable to the linux version then?

NewbieNewbie

Dec 21, 2007#122

penntap wrote:We expect to have a Linux version of UltraEdit ready for market late in 2008 (Q3 -Q4). We want to assure you, our customers, that we have heard your requests and we are working hard to provide the Linux/Mac version of UltraEdit you all want so much to see.
      This is fantastic news!

You've just made my Christmas.

UEx (nee UltraEdit for Linux) in my 2008 Christmas stocking will make me a very happy hacker. (UEx in my 2008 Labor Day beer coozie will make me an ecstatic hacker; hey, one can dream)

Thanks Ian and Team!

-- Tom

NewbieNewbie

Dec 25, 2007#123

wow great when can we test it?

Ive been using java apps on linux and they suc im hoping Ian ports to Linux asap PLEASE...

Im willing to pay now !

NewbieNewbie

Dec 28, 2007#124

Ultraedit is one of the few reasons I keep a windoze box, this news is great -

Where do I sign up to be a beta tester?

NewbieNewbie

Feb 06, 2008#125

Any rumors on what toolkit it will use? gtk/qt/other?

NewbieNewbie

Feb 11, 2008#126

foto50 wrote:I also just can add myself to Tripecac's question. Using UE since many years, I purchased a lifetime upgrade licence, will the be portable to the linux version then?
              Whatever... I'd be more than happy to buy another license for linux (lifetime or otherwise).

NewbieNewbie

Mar 28, 2008#127

Just wanted to add my vote for UltraEdit on Linux (esp. Debian and its derivatives). I tested UltraEdit on Windows a couple of years back and I was impressed.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 29, 2008#128

I've been an UE customer since 2000. Where and when do I send my money for the Linux version? I will gladly pay for value, regardless of the OS. (Windows, Mac, Linux).

IDM, don't be afraid to charge a fair price for it. Many Linux zealots insist that everything is free. I don't believe that. I will gladly pay for "added value". I've been a software developer for about 20 years. Could I write my own UE in Linux? Most definitely. But, at what cost? Hundreds, if not thousands of hours. I could buy the same functionality for an hours' pay. It's a simple "buy vs. build" argument.

P.S. How about an upgrade price for users of the Windows version? 8)

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 29, 2008#129

Licenses for cross-platform software apps are usually separate for each platform (look at many Linux games, for example). However, this is VERY welcome news since I've long fully switched over to GNU/Linux. Those "zealots" don't demand everything be free, but they do admit they prefer open source apps. In this case, IDM would be showered with appreciation since it would be a major statement that UltraEdit wants to own the text editor market across platforms.

MasterMaster

Apr 01, 2008#130

I'm ready to jump to Linux myself, as all I pretty much do nowadays is write PHP database applications for Linux based web servers.

The only thing stopping me is the editor. I spend most of my day in the editor.

I have been using UltraEdit since late 1998. Getting close to 10 years now. When it gets converted over to Linux, then so will I. I'm looking forward to it.

Windows, all versions, pretty much perform the same function as a skunk's hind quarters. They stink. That's about it. Can't wait for UEx!
                      “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

NewbieNewbie

Apr 16, 2008#131

I left windows and UE years ago (it was version 9 at the time). I never looked back.
                        However, I'd replace Kate editor in a heartbeat if I could have UE for linux natively.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 16, 2008#132

Been waiting for a Linux version for a long time!
                          Here is my vote. :lol:
                          Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 27, 2008#133

rhapdog wrote:I'm ready to jump to Linux myself, as all I pretty much do nowadays is write PHP database applications for Linux based web servers.

The only thing stopping me is the editor. I spend most of my day in the editor.

I have been using UltraEdit since late 1998. Getting close to 10 years now. When it gets converted over to Linux, then so will I. I'm looking forward to it.

Windows, all versions, pretty much perform the same function as a skunk's hind quarters. They stink. That's about it. Can't wait for UEx!
                            I was going to post, but you said it all for me. :)

DITTO!
                            -- The Digital Sorceress

NewbieNewbie

May 02, 2008#134

stevek wrote:Whatever... I'd be more than happy to buy another license for linux (lifetime or otherwise).
                              I agree... I'd be more than happy to buy another lifetime upgrade license for a Linux version --- I could finally kill my Windoze VMs.

Will you be offering a Beta for testing?

May 22, 2008#135

I would like to cast my Vote!

Read more posts (16 remaining)