NewbieNewbie

Jun 14, 2008#136

Hello,
    Just add me on the UEDIT supporter on LINUX
    I wish I have UEDIT+TOTAL COMMANDER on LINUX, and I will leave windows...
    :)

NewbieNewbie

Jun 18, 2008#137

I've been checking this forum about once a year for a while now.

I've lived my life in UltraEdit since about 1999. I use it for all varieties of development in multiple languages, for dealing with any kind of tabular data, for gigantic log file manipulations, and even to write documentation (I copy the text over to MS Office when I'm satisfied with the content). I write myself notes with UltraEdit. I honestly don't know how I'd function at life without it. This is the primary reason why I still keep must keep at least one Windows computer in my possession. I tried UltraEdit in wine, but I couldn't keep it running for more than about five minutes ever. Eventually it just died altogether and won't even start anymore.

I'm absolutely THRILLED that we're going ahead with UEx! Will you be taking beta testers? Sign me up!

For most software in my life, I always try to find the open source alternative. I'm very cheap that way. Nonetheless, I've faithfully upgraded for each new version that Ian sends out. This editor is my primary technological tool I use to butter my bread. I'll be quite happy to pay for a separate UEx license.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 15, 2008#138

The first five years of my programming career was built on UltraEdit.

I've done a lot of Java work in Eclipse, and since I've switched to Linux I've gone back in time 20 years and I'm using VIM full time.

Many of the GUI based editors built for Linux are pretty good. But none come close to the smooth efficient and user friendly interface that I grew to love with UltraEdit.

And when I say *efficient*, try opening a 500MB file with no line breaks in BlueFish, and then open the same file with UltraEdit. And then when you're done waiting for the file to load (in BlueFish), try doing a search and replaced operation. Forget it. You're better off learning the weirdnesses of VIM.

I haven't done a column cut & paste in years. I miss UltraEdit.

So count me in. I'll pay double for an UltraEdit binary.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 15, 2008#139

I'm very sure that IDM is developing a Linux version, but only God knows why - Linux crowd expect things for free. I wish IDM would concentrate on making UE a better Windows editor, 'cause even in its native environment UE is facing very stiff competition from (very deserving) freewares.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 17, 2008#140

I would also like to throw in my support for a Linux version of UE.

I used to use UE back at my first job, and fell in love with it. After switching jobs, I was crushed to learn that there was no Linux version. No matter how much I loved UE, I wasn't going to switch operating systems for an editor.

However, if a Linux version of UE were to come out, I would happily purchase licenses for my entire department, and I'm confident I'm not alone.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 06, 2008#141

Just posting my own thanks to Ian and the team. This is wonderful news - and making sure it is solid, robust, and a hard core serious text editor as established on Windows... these will get serious attention and are exactly the right decision to make, to hit a new marketplace with momentum.

Thank you again... and do keep us posted as best you're able!

brass
              brass

Aug 17, 2008#142

I would love to have a linux version of ultraedit.

If ultraedit came with an awk function/macro, I'd be begging for a version!

Right now, Ultraedit in XP is my only window to sanity dealing with text files from *nix machines. I've found other awesome features too.

With Ultraedit for Unix, then it's just adding a "Run Command" option!

Long time customer, and am amazed to see the new options (U3, Xterm copy/paste, fully customizeable interface, conversions, etc) appear, now I wonder how I lived without them.

What it comes down to is that IDM has always listened to user feedback. It may not be instant, but I am confident a *nix version will be available in the future. :D

Over the past 10 years, IDM has me spoiled rotten as far as what to expect from a shareware company! :oops:

NewbieNewbie

Nov 03, 2008#143

Does anyone know if there is a beta program (oh let's be honest, what I'm asking for is an I-can't-wait-so-I'm-going-to-try-begging program) that we can apply for?

Standard chatter: I'm a Linux user, UE is the only app that forces me to still have a Windows box, UE+Wine doesn't *quite* stack up, etc etc. Reading this thread, it's all been said before :D

So, IDM, beta program? To jump in, I'm a long time UE user, with a keen eye for UI design (that's what I do, UI design) and good technical grounding. That makes me an idea beta tester. So where do I sign up? 8)

NewbieNewbie

Nov 19, 2008#144

Well... as a show of support, I've just purchased the five-pack lifetime upgrade for the UE/UC/US package. But I'm still holding out for UEX. I'm tired of having to run Windows in the background just to make use of UE.

Thanks,
                    --James

Site AdminSite Admin

Mar 10, 2009#145

Hello Everyone!

We realize that many users are extremely excited about UEX, and I can assure you that we are just as excited and eager to complete the Linux build. We are working feverishly to do so. We have posted a UEX preview and screenshots on our website here:

https://www.ultraedit.com/products/uex/

Thanks!

-IDM

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 09, 2009#146

For such a very long time, I've had the thought in my head that if UE came out for Linux, I might finally be able to switch.

Now, I'm going to have to put my money where my mouth is. :)

~I'm both scared and jubilant at the same time~
                        -- The Digital Sorceress

NewbieNewbie

Apr 15, 2009#147

I am sure this is premature since UEX isn't even available yet, but I was wondering if there were any plans after it's release to work on a UEX Studio (UEStudio for Linux [and Mac])?

I previously used UE from 1998 - v14 and have missed it since migrating from Microsoft's platforms.

At work I run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard along with a few servers that run Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy while at home I have 3 laptops that run Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid and Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty (beta testing). Not being able to use UE was the hardest part of switching and I have never found an editor that could replace UE. I cannot wait for the release and the possible opportunity to beta test.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 12, 2009#148

Hi! I am on Ubuntu 9.04, and the .deb of the Beta installs fully automatically, with the .deb package manager, and even adds UltraEdit to the Programing group under Applications.  Perfect!

I just linked the Beta III to my gFTP client as the editor, and it launches fine.

However, WAH!  I don't see the Save/Retrieve FTP feature that I use all the time in UE for Windows.  Not to be a crybaby, but WAAAAAAAAAAH!

I really hope that this is on the roadmap, because I am having a hard time imagining doing a weird Save As, then FTP dance to re-upload files, if not.  Believe me, you don't want to see that :)

Thanks,
                            Ken

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2009#149

Is UltraEdit for Linux available for free of cost?

Manish B

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2009#150

Manish B wrote:Is UltraEdit for Linux available for free of cost?
                                No, UEX is not a freeware or open source editor, it is shareware. You have to pay for a license after testing period ends.
                                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Read more posts (1 remaining)