NewbieNewbie

Sep 29, 2004#16

I also agree, the only reason im using windows is because theres no good editor like ultraedit for linux/freebsd. I would be running linux on my desktop if it was natively compiled. I would even pay more for it to help support getting it done.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 30, 2004#17

Hey Ian,

I'd like to get your attention on this issue and give you some food for thought. I'm a Linux based professional. I am willing to pay 2x the MS version price for a Linux based version of UE.

For that price (per user or seat), I would want to be able to deploy it into my site via auto/jump/kickstart on all the machines I administer and develop upon.

I firmly believe the maturity of the Linux market is sufficient for your business model to seriously consider a platform agnostic release that would blow wide open your potential market appeal.

Certain questions come to mind when pondering a Linux release:

1. Should you provide a terminal (curses, s-lang, etc) based version that doesn't require a windowing environment...ala Joe, JED, and VIM?
      2. Will you want to integrate in with existing development tools?
      3. What are the key elements in the MS version that have the Linux community drooling?
      4. Should you attempt a port or ramp up a UE clone?
      5. Is it possible to leverage existing OSS and significantly fork off a project with your own key code?
      6. Are you willing to release source if you enter the Linux market?
      7. Can you deterministically release a Linux version with the same eye for exceptional quality and support that you have built for MS UE?

So far this has focused on UE...but I believe UC has equal potential.

Naturally, there are dinosaur purists out there that will thumb their nose and stand firm on the vi/ed-diff-find-sed/awk cocktail of legendary, borg-like, command line cryptography while ironically waving a flag of "live free or die" and stunning economists with outrageous salary demands; however, with all due respect to our UNIX roots, the dinosaurs did, in fact, become extinct.

I am certain there are dozens more questions that will (and should) factor into the equation. I have my opinions on the answers to the above questions; however, it is your answers that would provide the direction, tone and tempo of any such adventure.

There is clear evidence of interest. I would like to see more depth and detail in this discussion. Perhaps the discussion will provide you with enough passion and business incentive to address this burning desire.

Richard Wermske :twisted:
      Technical Architect - Veteran of the Psychic Wars
      Paragon of Principle-Centered Pernicious Pleadings
      http://starbase.airweb.net

NewbieNewbie

Oct 05, 2004#18

Ultraedit is the only software (ok, Doom3 too ;) ) which needs Windows on my machine. The rest of my data and needed softwaretools still exists under linux too.

Please create a version for linux! And don't do the mistake to do it under the GPL! Ultraedit is cool and it's worth his price!

NewbieNewbie

Oct 06, 2004#19

Another voice for UEdit / Linux... as strange as it may sound, the hyped OS for the developer geek doesn't have anything comparable. I've tried them all: Kate, SciTE, NEdit, XEmacs, jEdit, you name it. There is a need for a decent Linux text editor, and Wine isn't exactly a "tried & easy" solution.

It would be nice to hear a statement from IDM on this matter...

Oct 07, 2004#20

FYI: I mailed IDM regarding this topic (assuming they don't spend much time in the forums themselves), and got a swift reply (as always).

According to that reply, IDM *has* considered the possibility before, but:

* UltraEdit is heavily based on MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes), making a straight port anything but trivial; and

* IDM didn't find comparable development tools under Linux. (Don't flame me, that's what was said in the reply mail.)

It *might* yet come in a future version.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 07, 2004#21

UltraEdit Rocks!!!

With terminal service access to our win servers, I will be discarding my win laptop for a Linux laptop. My primary and deepest regret is leaving UltraEdit behind. I rely on it daily.

Please Port to Linux....

How about a Poll on your site...

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 07, 2004#22

A comment from http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/42516 :

Porting applications (from Windows) to the Linux Desktop, applications written with Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) can be done quickly and easily using wxWindows now known as wxWidgets.

IBM also has much more information here:

"Porting MFC applications to Linux "
                http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/l ... ary/l-mfc/

(site has been very slow lately)
                -

NewbieNewbie

Oct 23, 2004#23

jlschwab wrote: I would even pay more for it to help support getting it done.
                  Me too. Actions speak louder than words so if by chance IDM puts a PayPal button on their page to support a good faith effort to release a Linux version I'll contribute. Perhaps extra incentive for people donating might be access to a beta test? :idea:

NewbieNewbie

Oct 28, 2004#24

We've been using UltraEdit for several years now at work, started with a couple of licenses but the userbase is growing rapidly. I would also like to request IDM to seriously investigate the possibility of releasing an UltraEdit version for Linux! I would be an immediate adopter at home & at work! I'd love to be able to use UltraEdit on a Linux box as the other editors just don't do it for me! I can already imagine the incredible advantages of having a first-class editor like UE on the *NIX platform! :lol: So come on IDM amaze us another time and bring the best editor in the world to the Linux world!!

NewbieNewbie

Oct 29, 2004#25

Hi,

I prefer an ultraedit-version specially for linux aswell. :!: :!: :!:

I hope there will be a version as soon as possible. As soon that version will be available my workstation will be a linuxworkstation.

Please Ian transform UltraEDIT to linux or build an JAVA.App. 8) :roll: :wink:

FORESTHUS

NewbieNewbie

Nov 03, 2004#26

add my vote for a native linux version

for you "if-theres-a-linux-version-I-completely-change-to-linux"-guys
                        get wine and run ultraedit from linux It works very nice even with FTP etc.
                        :)

NewbieNewbie

Nov 08, 2004#27

I'll love to see a native Linux version too.

I have tried it under Wine but it isn't the same.

Regards.

Ignacio.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 10, 2004#28

I've got to have UE/Linux!!!

My use of UE has spanned many years and many companies. I've used UE for almost every programming and editing task I can think of with nearly every langrage in existance (programming and Korean!). When I'm faced with a file that needs to be examined, it's my first stop. I've solved numerous problems by examining hex codes using UE.

I recently switched from Windows to Linux (Suse 9.1 Pro) and I'm suffering without UE. As many have stated here, I've also tested all the editors to find an UE work-alike to no avail. It's becoming a distraction; but I won't go back to Windows.

Please, please, please produce a Linux version. I would also pay 2x the Windows price for it. Do you need Linux developers? I'll contribute whatever time I can.

A loyal customer,
                            Barry Drake

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 30, 2004#29

Another vote for a linux port. I just LOVE this editor. NOTHING can compare. I have to carry a copy on my flashdrive to use when I'm working on projects away from home because I can't stand any of the crap they want us to use when UE is 5x better than they best they have to offer. It's funny though, but, why does Windows have much better editors than Linux? I mean, UltraEdit is the best, but, there are so many other Windows only editors that are also better than all I've found for Linux so far. Using UltraEdit32 via Wine is a huge pain and there's always the fear in my mind I'll run into some bug in Wine that causes me to loose all my data.

Oh, and should such a thing ever be considered, please also consider a console version. It's a low priority compared to just getting it there in the first place, but it would be nice as a lot of us Linux users prefer the console to the GUI more often than now. (If you know what you are doing, you can get things done 5x as fast in the console with less work.)

NewbieNewbie

Dec 01, 2004#30

Add my vote -- Avid user of UE for about 6 years now. would love to see a linux port -- so much that I would be willing to donate time to assist with such.

I use vi / emacs currently and they do the job but just don't compare to UE for ease of use.

LLH

Read more posts (121 remaining)