NewbieNewbie

May 09, 2007#91

I need ultraedit on linux, with wine and crossover office file manager has problems, and ftp crashes the application.
    I think IDM team is so strange, lots of developer uses linux, ultraedit on linux can give them lots of money!
    Why can't we start a petition to inform IDM on how many of us need this software on linux?

May 13, 2007#92

Make that one more vote from me.

And of course, I'll pay for it.

When did you say it will be ready?

--
      OldGoatroper

NewbieNewbie

May 15, 2007#93

I've switched to Linux in the last 6 months, and I've banged my head against the wall looking for a Ruby on Rails IDE that doesn't take up 2 Terabytes of Ram (RadRails, NetBeans). The GNU/Linux 30 year old editors like Vim and Emacs just don't cut it either. "Edit" mode? Ctrl-X Ctrl-0 to open a file? Give me a break.

All the Mac users talk about TextMate, which looks a heck of a lot like UltraEdit.

I'm trying out jEdit and NetBeans, but I wish I could use UltraEdit. I have a lifetime license for UltraEdit, but I'd throw another $50 in for a Linux version. UltraEdit on WINE just doesn't have the pep that native UE does, and that's not acceptable to me. I want something light, snappy and configurable, (UltraEdit).

Please, just get something out there. Lots of developers are switching to Linux, and you're missing out on a really young market.

--Nate

NewbieNewbie

May 16, 2007#94

Tookelso wrote:Please, just get something out there. Lots of developers are switching to Linux, and you're missing out on a really young market.
          I have followed this thread for coming up on three years. I became so convinced that it was hopeless, that I stopped wasting money on upgrades and moved on to other products.
          Ingo wrote:Why can't we start a petition to inform IDM on how many of us need this software on linux?
          This is likely the most read, most replied-to thread in the forums. What part of >106 replies and >56,338 reads over three years doesn't constitute a petition to you? The message isn't dead but perhaps it should be.

I believe the Window of opportunity (pardon the pun) has closed. The Eclipse platform and a variety of other suitable substitutes have entered the market. Economic elasticity. While it saddens me, I fear that Ian has lost the potential to secure cross-platform marketshare.

I don't fault the business decision that had to be made. I posit that it was a potentially very difficult decision to exclude a broad market segment. But it allowed him to focus effort toward refining and expanding the portfolio of Windows offerings. It's also useful to keep in mind that Ian's background is in engineering management and that the editor was an initial learning exercise--a learning exercise that was based upon a Microsoft pragma. Linux was/is alien turf for Ian.

Given potential VM solutions, there are alternatives that may still appeal to the Linux community. Cross-over Office has become very mature. Local VMWare guests can provide smb exports to allow for native or hosted Windows editing...

Take the time to read the whole thread that reaches back into 2004. I fear the oxygen we are metabolizing to continue to debate this is simply adding unnecessarily to planetary carbon emissions. 8O

Cheers,
          Rich Wermske
          http://www.wermske.com

NewbieNewbie

May 16, 2007#95

I think the only good solution is using vmware or something similar.
            I've tried it but a native solution is another world.
            So IDM, please wake up, release this for LINUX!

Basic UserBasic User

May 24, 2007#96

the potential of the Linux market is somewhere about 0.5% of the potential of the Windows market, and this is unlikely to change noticeably in the near future.
              So I wouldn't expect a non-Windows version soon, it just makes no [commercial] sense to put effort into this.

NewbieNewbie

May 30, 2007#97

The Linux market is there... and there is a good editor available for Linux alread as a cross platform too with plug-ins to eclipse that matches UltraEdit pretty well feature wise.

I would prefer to see UltraEdit there tho, as I like it :) And that other product is about 5 times more expensive than UltraEdit, so for my personal use it is unfortunately not something I would buy.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 04, 2007#98

I would very much like to see a version of UltraEdit for Linux.

I understand the difficulties and I imagine it won't happen.

But it would be nice.

Not so big of a deal for me since my platform at work is Windows.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 27, 2007#99

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please support Linux.

I have been using your product for many many years now.

I love it. ... I hate windows though. I have been using windows for over 10 years & am sick of it. There is hope though.... Linux is very real desktop solution now.

:P

I recently moved to a linux OS (Ubuntu) -- it is amazing. .... I don't want to let go of ultraedit though! This is one of the last things that I have to think about -- then will be completely independent of winblows. OpenOffice, FireFox, gaim, etc are all wonderful replacements to their windows counterparts.

Do you have any plans for supporting or creating a linux version of UltraEdit?

Thanks for your time.

Jun 27, 2007#100

OOh -- wanted to add that i would be be ---happy--- to pay for a linux version of ultraedit. Please make this product more available!

Basic UserBasic User

Re: While waiting for UltraEdit for Linux....

Jun 28, 2007#101

IDM in an email announcement wrote:We are planning many new releases, powerful productivity enhancements, and a cross-platform version of UltraEdit code-named UEX.
                        tomwitt wrote:Just an FYI

While it's no UltraEdit (and while I wait [impatient and petulantly] for UltraEdit for Linux), I have found a somewhat reasonable substitute.

I've been using the ActiveState Komodo4 (beta 3) IDE for awhile now (under Linux) and it's nice ... very nice (but still no UltraEdit). I see now on the ActiveState web site that there will be a Komodo4 "lite" version (available for something which approximates free) called Komodo4 Edit; All the editing goodness minus some advanced features (like source control integration ... drats!). And it's multiplatform ... including Linux.

For me anyway, I think Komodo4 Edit will serve as a stop gap until there is a natively compiled version of UltraEdit for Linux (or this new UEX project comes to fruition)

If anyone has any links to preliminary info about this UEX project, please post.
                        I just came across a blog post I bookmarked a while ago: Komodo Edit is based on XUL?

Which has got me thinking that maybe the X in UEX stands for XUL. (XUL is a mozilla technology that Firefox is built on.) They're certainly headed in that direction using JavaScript as the new scripting language.

If I'm right then that could mean that writing a plugin for UEX would be as easy as writing one for Firefox. Imagine that!

NewbieNewbie

Jul 08, 2007#102

I know I will just be a post drowned in the masses, but UltraEdit is one of the best editors I've ever used so it feels important to cast a vote for a Linux version.

I believe we are at the moment looking at maybe not the death of Windows, but nether less, the mass movement to Linux (Ubuntu perhaps?). There are coders in the front, hence the "114 replies 61581(!) views and ongoing since 2004"-post! 2 pages just the last year - 27 posts (28 with mine).

Almost all of them "1-post" posters, meaning they (me included) work through registration JUST to make one post about this matter.

Since IDM seems a bit silent in this matter (Yes I've seen the MFC post) I guess they underestimate the power of linux. I sincerely hope not.

In the meantime and since IDM is silent I will recommend the Cream editor cream.sourceforge.net (based on Vim), it resemble some UE features.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE KERNEL

Yours sincerely,

TheOddOne

Site AdminSite Admin

Jul 09, 2007#103

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your continued requests for a Linux version of UltraEdit. We understand the desire you have for this.

This is a major undertaking, however we are currently working on this in conjunction with continued development of new features and support of all our products.

We can not give you a timeframe but it is being worked on and will be availble in the future.

Thanks and we don't currently have more to say.

Ian

NewbieNewbie

Jul 20, 2007#104

I am very gratified to hear this, and I joined the forum specifically to say something about this. I have been an Ultraedit programmer for ten years, maybe longer - I am not sure. I have written a lot of code using Ultraedit in that time frame.

Recently I have begun making the switch to Ubuntu Linux - and I love it. I will only go back clawing and screaming. After a few days playing with Ubuntu, I was asking myself if I could stay - forever.

My biggest dilema was what to use for a programmer's editor. I tried Ultraedit under WINE, but it was not a pleasant experience. I tried many other editors including gedit, nedit, geany, Anjuta, Eclipse, and more.

I would load a twenty or thirty thousand line project and play with them for a while.

The one I have finally settled upon as a stopgap measure until Ultraedit shows up as a native application - is jedit. After having loaded about a dozen plugins for features that I need, it appears acceptable to me.

-Ron

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 24, 2007#105

Ron,

Did you type up any notes about the linux editors as you tested them (and compared them to UltraEdit)?

What about jedit gave it the edge?

Travis

Read more posts (46 remaining)